Jar Collectors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've managed to collect quite a few over the years. We are not into collecting for collectings sake. Just for canning. I stay away from anything china made. Not fond of golden harvest either. They are a little larger round wise and I'm always afraid I'll break one getting them in the canner. Pretty snug fit . But I would choose them over any Walmart brand or dollar store brand.

But no, we don't go around looking for old obsolete type jars

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know one. Got pics? Questions?

Thanks for any help davek.

I found one yesterday. Has zinc lid with the porcelain insert.

Went to looking them up for info. Only found one on the whole World Wide Web. And at an astonishing price of $4931.21 as of last night. By all my research it appears an identical.

Ball Perfect Mason #2 qt size 1910-1923 according to a dating chart using the lettering.
The third photo is the only #2 1qt Ball Perfect Mason 1910-1923.

Wondering if I am missing something? Never been into old jars. Ignorant about them.

Attachments

• 87FFF0EB-6F02-4B4B-8765-A8B754CAA5EA.jpeg
    87FFF0EB-6F02-4B4B-8765-A8B754CAA5EA.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100039FE-B41C-4DB4-939C-44999F8D4931.jpeg
    100039FE-B41C-4DB4-939C-44999F8D4931.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5F6A35CD-E5A9-4FA2-8351-E8DA36F41907.jpeg
    5F6A35CD-E5A9-4FA2-8351-E8DA36F41907.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for any help davek.

I found one yesterday. Has zinc lid with the porcelain insert.

Went to looking them up for info. Only found one on the whole World Wide Web. And at an astonishing price of $4931.21 as of last night. By all my research it appears an identical.

Ball Perfect Mason #2 qt size 1910-1923 according to a dating chart using the lettering.
The third photo is the only #2 1qt Ball Perfect Mason 1910-1923.

Wondering if I am missing something? Never been into old jars. Ignorant about them.
Goodness! I had no clue that those things could command such a price. I've got 4 old wooden crates full of old jars up in my attic. My grandfather used to collect them. None of my brothers or I really know much about them, so I'm just keeping them stored away. There are lots of old mason jars, old medicine jars from the 1800's and early 1900's etc. Some of them are pretty cool, my favorites are some of the old 'snake-oil' salesmen's jars full labeled as some kind of 'Wonder Tonic'. I guess I really need to go through those crates and catalog each one.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The GF here….I collect old jars. Make a trip through any flea market or antique shop and you will come across hundreds of them. The above jar is common. Maybe 3-12 bucks if it has an original lid. Ball/Mason are the same company but still branded under different names. There are rarities that collectors are after, such as a mix-stamp, upside down logo or the such. Color is common factor in value of jars but keep in mind, the material used could also indicate color, such as phosphorous being added to the glass making, then the jar sitting in a window and reacting to UV light, turning a lovely shade of violet. Most of my basic collection goes out into the world full of flowers for the office ladies at work. My favorite are the old Millville with a screw top and are from around 1880-1890’s but even those can be had for 80-150 if it has the original lid. Although, THE holy grail of collectibles is the cobalt blue Millville and rumored to be only two in the world. Last sold at public auction for a bit over 20k. The best place to find values is “ the red book” or the fb page for fruit jar collectors.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Goodness! I had no clue that those things could command such a price. I've got 4 old wooden crates full of old jars up in my attic. My grandfather used to collect them. None of my brothers or I really know much about them, so I'm just keeping them stored away. There are lots of old mason jars, old medicine jars from the 1800's and early 1900's etc. Some of them are pretty cool, my favorites are some of the old 'snake-oil' salesmen's jars full labeled as some kind of 'Wonder Tonic'. I guess I really need to go through those crates and catalog each one.

When we cleaned out my Grandparents Root Cellar/Storm Shelter we found over $60k in cash hidden amongst over 400 jars of canned food. This was 20 years ago. I am over 60 now. The man that raised me, it was his parents. I asked him why the hell they can so much food? He stated “ ma ma was making sure I had enough food to live on when I didn’t get on the first bus to heaven””!! Said he had 7 years to get on the next bus! She was a staunch Pentecostal Holiness. LOL!

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Perplexed is right about the value, those are pretty common jars.
Manganese is the additive that turns the glass purple in the sun though. Most manganese came from Germany and went out of use in the US in 1915 because of WWI.
There's a bottle collector's show every June at the Tulsa Fairground in whatever they call the IPE Building now held in conjunction with the flea market. Lots of glass and advertising items.

Latest posts

Top Bottom