Jeet Kune Do Seminar this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any follow up from this seminar?

Can you tell us more about Ledlow's background?

I've done some homework on Ledlow's lineage. It breaks down in a couple different ways.

Bruce -> Jerry Poteet -> Ledlow is the physical training lineage.

Bruce -> Dan Inosanto -> Jerry Poteet -> Ledlow is the instructor certification lineage.

Bruce only certified three instructors to teach his JKD: Guro Dan Inosanto, Sifu James Lee, & Sifu Taki Kimura.

Jerry Poteet is one of Bruce's students, but conveniently omits his instructor certification came from Guro Inosanto.

Ledlow teaches the Original Jeet Kune Do not Jeet Kune Do Concepts as taught by Inosanto.

SoonerBJJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, 348. The politics in JKD is a sordid tale.

I know Inosanto has crosstrained extensively since his early days with Bruce Lee, including receiving a black belt in BJJ. An extremely impressive feat in itself. His curriculum has evolved.

Can we say the same about Poteet? Youtube videos don't tell the whole story but based on the techniques I'm seeing you can color me skeptical.

That's why I'm curious about Ledlow's background... as opposed to his lineage. Does he have other training or experience that might be relevant?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, 348. The politics in JKD is a sordid tale.

I know Inosanto has crosstrained extensively since his early days with Bruce Lee, including receiving a black belt in BJJ. An extremely impressive feat in itself. His curriculum has evolved.

Can we say the same about Poteet? Youtube videos don't tell the whole story but based on the techniques I'm seeing you can color me skeptical.

That's why I'm curious about Ledlow's background... as opposed to his lineage. Does he have other training or experience that might be relevant?

Does he have the skills to back that up? Who did he get it from?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not found any background experience on Ledlow. I've thought about stopping by during his training class and talking to him about a few things. I like the idea of Bruce's original teachings being preserved and taught. On the other hand that in itself doesn't lend to evolution.

I like how Guro Inosanto has incorporated the other worlds of Kali, Silat, Muay Thai, etc...

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not found any background experience on Ledlow. I've thought about stopping by during his training class and talking to him about a few things. I like the idea of Bruce's original teachings being preserved and taught. On the other hand that in itself doesn't lend to evolution.

I like how Guro Inosanto has incorporated the other worlds of Kali, Silat, Muay Thai, etc...

Bruce would roll over in his grave at the mention of preservation of original teachings.

We had a Seminar weekend back in 95 with Dr. Jerry Beasely, Ted Wong and Joe Lewis and even though he wasn't a JKD guy Bill superfoot wallace hosted a guest session as well.

Bruce's whole goal was to find better faster more efficient ways of doing it and throwing away the chafe. He himself was constantly leraning and evolving and their was no one single way.

As far as "official" JKD instructors it's all politics and a nasty fight, Inosanto took a little of Bruces philosopy and slapped it into his philipino arts( I had a chance to train with him back in the mid 80's)

Not disparaging the man but calling it like it is Sifu Inosanto is talented, but he is primarily phillipino arts with some of Bruce's teaching added in.

SoonerBJJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bruce would roll over in his grave at the mention of preservation of original teachings.

Bruce's whole goal was to find better faster more efficient ways of doing it and throwing away the chafe. He himself was constantly leraning and evolving and their was no one single way.

As far as "official" JKD instructors it's all politics and a nasty fight...

This.

The JKD instructors that advertise this like some badge of honor have clearly missed the point.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Probably would. I like the nostalgia of it. I'm also interested in Jun Fan Gung Fu. I avoid the politics of instructors and original (what was) vs concepts (what could have been). "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is uniquely your own." opens the doors for anyone to claim they teach JKD.

SoonerBJJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also drawn to the nostalgia of it. The history of those early days training with Bruce Lee is actually quite interesting. What they were doing was revolutionary in their day. The JKD of today is a far cry from the original spirit and intent.

Check out Dan Inosanto's early books if you haven't seen them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom