Jets over Tulsa/BA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember as a kid while driving my red tractor being buzzed by two F-4 Phantoms. I swear they targeted me because it was red. Scared the peewaddlin out of me!
That was a big deal back in the 70's I believe. The trainer planes from Vance AFB were using tractors and combines in the field for low level practice target runs. Probably for strafing.
Scared the farmers/ranchers so much that they formed a committee and approached the leadership at Vance AFB to get it stopped, and it did. Don't remember a whole lot of details about it.
We have some long time past employees at Vance on here that may have more intel.
Back when working at the power plant east of Vance, I did a lot of environmental work on the 500' stacks. It wasn't uncommon to see one of the trainers headed directly toward the plant, then turn away close enough I got pics of the planes that could be blown up a bit to see the pilot. Posted a few of them on here in the past if anyone wants to do a search.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was a big deal back in the 70's I believe. The trainer planes from Vance AFB were using tractors and combines in the field for low level practice target runs. Probably for strafing.
Scared the farmers/ranchers so much that they formed a committee and approached the leadership at Vance AFB to get it stopped, and it did. Don't remember a whole lot of details about it.
We have some long time past employees at Vance on here that may have more intel.
Back when working at the power plant east of Vance, I did a lot of environmental work on the 500' stacks. It wasn't uncommon to see one of the trainers headed directly toward the plant, then turn away close enough I got pics of the planes that could be blown up a bit to see the pilot. Posted a few of them on here in the past if anyone wants to do a search.
What search criteria?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forum Search. You can search for key words, etc in the advanced search at the top of the main page.
We had a big data loss during an outage several years back. Sometimes the search function can't find posts because of that outage.
Yeah I know the forum search. What key words?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live south of Will Rogers and when the lawn darts come up from Texas to play they make their turns back to the north right over my house. Those little suckers are quick and loud!
Those would have been Northrop T-38 trainers from Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls TX. I was stationed there 1975-78. Back then they were teaching Germans and Iranians how to fly.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night we heard 3 maybe 4 jets take off and buzz through Catoosa/BA area I would have guess it was around 7 to 7:30 or so couldn’t carry on a conversation on my patio when they lit it up.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you click on the U tab near the top right side, it will take out the civilian stuff and show military only.

If you click on the L tab on the right side it will attach the ID to the plane so you can also see who it is. But this can get cluttered in busy areas.

FWIW when it's flying you can see Air Force One or Two, their ID numbers are SAM 28000 and SAM 29000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom