Job loyalty...anybody still got it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my current employer for 10 years so for this round. Been in 3 different departments more for a variety than anything.

Why is the it when you are looking for a new role, they are few and far between. When you are not necessarily looking, they’re knocking on your door?

I responded to a post saying I was interested in learning more about a role in a different company on LinkedIn and almost immediately had a request for an interview. Go figure.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking through my wallet last night and I noticed the date on my commission card - 04/21/2005.

16 years. Wow! Where did it go?

How about you? Anybody worked the same job for more than 5 years? 10 years? 15? 20 or more? Anybody retire from the only job you ever had? I just feel like nobody stays at one job anymore. Change my mind.

23 years and going on 15 at the current gig.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
In the corporate world, loyalty is a one way street.
Job loyalty yes, employer loyalty nope. I was with my last employer for 7 years. Then an international corporate acquisition caused me to get fired; sweetened with a nice severance and a retainer gig the following day. I'm not embarrassed to say my loyalty is to the paycheck.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been 18 years at my current employer. Transfering within company to OK and hope to put in another 8-10 years then retirement if at all possible and hopefully have some passive income to make retirement that much sweeter.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Oklahoma but after college, I was recruited to Kansas. After 20+ years at my college educated profession I was making $8.20 per hour and training new recruits making $10 and $12 per hour. I retired after 20 and within a week was in a new vocation making $16 per hour and not endangering my life every day.

After several years of this, I was offered a lateral move to OKC with the company purchasing my old house and moving me with a substantial raise. This sounds great doesn't it? This monetary gain was shelled out by the company after eviscerating the existing OKC office by firing the general manager, the two salesmen, the administration secretary, four technicians out of six and closed the office.

Two technicians were left to handle the state of Oklahoma's customers and one of those men quit. The sole survivor was given a van and had a home office where he stored parts and inventory for the company. Keep in mind the Oklahoma office was still in the process of doing business daily with service calls and ongoing installations. Furthermore, the customers we had were not residential, not really commercial in the conventional sense but Fortune 500 companies and government installations that required enterprise level systems worldwide.

It was then the beginning of my year long commute to Oklahoma every week and back every weekend. The company paid for all my motel and meals and I helped out where I could then the last OKC tech quit. Holy crap talk about into the fire!

I had the entire state from Keys to Pitcher to Broken Bow to Altus. I had this position for ten years. By myself. I wore out three trucks.

Finally in 2010 the company decided to open another office in OKC. We had 9 employees with another general manager and salsemen. Then they did a stupid thing called SAP. It was a fiasco from the day it was announced. Within 4 months, the OKC office was again closed. Then I quit because they wanted me to revisit my lone wolf role for Oklahoma.

I moved to a few more similar companies and did different things and finally retired. As was previously stated, I was loyal to the paycheck.

I did get a Swiss Army watch when I quit the company, it never worked. LOL!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be at my company for 8 years next month. I have no plans on leaving. There are some things that I don’t like about it but for the most part I am happy. My dad retired from Dayton Tire after 33 years and so did my Uncle Billy. I went there to get a job back in the early 2000’s. Thank the Lord I didn’t get one because I would have lost my job when the plant closed in 2006. My wife was with the Absentee Tribe for 16 years and was fired one day last October and the scum bags didn’t even tell her why. This is the first time my wife said she has experienced real racism. I am part Indian but she isn’t. They treat white people like crap there. But she found another job and is happy there, mostly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom