Job loyalty...anybody still got it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking through my wallet last night and I noticed the date on my commission card - 04/21/2005.

16 years. Wow! Where did it go?

How about you? Anybody worked the same job for more than 5 years? 10 years? 15? 20 or more? Anybody retire from the only job you ever had? I just feel like nobody stays at one job anymore. Change my mind.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work for a great company with fantastic ownership. I've been with them for 11 years now, and have zero plans of leaving. I've been in the same industry since 2001, and worked for 2 other companies before landing here. We work hard and definitely earn our paychecks, but it is worth it. Perhaps it is because in the time I've been here, we went a small company to a much larger successful company. That growth has been difficult, but also rewarding and has provided me with opportunities for professional growth that I wouldn't have had previously.

To address one of GED's questions in his original post, my aunt only had 1 job for her entire life. She worked for an insurance company in OKC for a little over 40 years. She also worked for free as the secretary for her church for over 30 years.

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad worked 37 years at the same locations in OKC (the name changed multiple times) before he got laid off.

I was at my first job out of college for 9 years before I got laid off and have worked for my current employer for almost 24 years.

Makes me feel old now that I read that!

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shortest time at any one employer was 1 year and that was because they had a large layoff due to financial issues. Prior to that, 17 years with one and followed up the 1-year stint with 22 years in the Career Tech system at 2 schools. Now retired and doing part-time with the last school so I'd rate my job loyalty as high, especially when compared to the 3-5 year range of most employment these days. This is a result of most people realizing that job loyalty is largely a one-way street with the benefit flowing to the employer. Your true loyalty has to be to yourself and your goals. If one employer is meeting your goals, great! If not, it's on you to figure out your own path. JMO - YMMV...prices slightly higher west of the Rockies...

Latest posts

Top Bottom