Joe Biden Claims ‘Brave Right-Wing Americans’ Are Shooting Law Enforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
i read a true story from the early days of American politics. as i remember the story ---- Davey Crockett i think was running for election and was on a road when he saw a man in the field near the road,so he decided to stop the man to see his opinions and needs. in the conversation Crockett asked the man for his opinion on congress wanting to pass and provide a pension for the widows of the revolution. the man responded to Crockett that any pension was a misuse of federal power and funding also out of the scope of the congressional duty. the man responded to Crockett that if the congress felt the need for such charity that the members of congress should provide the pensions out of their personal accounts. now this came from a farmer,just a plain old everyday American citizen. in my opinion if modern citizens had a tenth of the wisdom and knowledge of this one man that our country would be much different. found this---https://www.capitalismreview.com/2019/10/not-yours-to-give-davy-crockett-on-government-charity/

When Crockett sat down, the bill was dead. He had shamed it to death. Furthermore, according to [his biographer and friend Edward] Ellis, not a single member of Congress offered to join him in contributing a week’s pay for the relief of poor widow, about whose plight so many of them had waxed eloquent when they thought they were going to be spending the taxpayers’ money rather than their own.

At that time, the records of the House did not include transcripts of speeches made on the floor. So some historians have questioned the authenticity of Crockett’s speech. But Crockett is known to have opposed a similar bill in 1828, and the speech certainly sounds like him.

So does the observation that Ellis says Crockett made to him in private afterwards:

There is one thing now to which I will call your attention. You remember that I proposed to give a week’s pay. There are in that House many very wealthy men—men who think nothing of spending a week’s pay, or a dozen of them, for a dinner or a wine party when they have something to accomplish by it. Some of those same men made beautiful speeches upon the great debt of gratitude which the country owed the deceased—a debt which could not be paid by money—and the insignificance and worthlessness of money, particularly so insignificant a sum as $10,000, when weighed against the honor of the nation. Yet not one of them responded to my proposition. Money with them is nothing but trash when it is to come out of the people. But it is the one great thing for which most of them are striving, and many of them sacrifice honor, integrity, and justice to obtain it. from the article
Henceforth the U.S.Congress paid Santa Anna to kill Crocket at the Alamo.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
399B6F68-4C14-4C48-9E0B-7EBF38A97300.jpeg

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
i read a true story from the early days of American politics. as i remember the story ---- Davey Crockett i think was running for election and was on a road when he saw a man in the field near the road,so he decided to stop the man to see his opinions and needs. in the conversation Crockett asked the man for his opinion on congress wanting to pass and provide a pension for the widows of the revolution. the man responded to Crockett that any pension was a misuse of federal power and funding also out of the scope of the congressional duty. the man responded to Crockett that if the congress felt the need for such charity that the members of congress should provide the pensions out of their personal accounts. now this came from a farmer,just a plain old everyday American citizen. in my opinion if modern citizens had a tenth of the wisdom and knowledge of this one man that our country would be much different. found this---https://www.capitalismreview.com/2019/10/not-yours-to-give-davy-crockett-on-government-charity/

When Crockett sat down, the bill was dead. He had shamed it to death. Furthermore, according to [his biographer and friend Edward] Ellis, not a single member of Congress offered to join him in contributing a week’s pay for the relief of poor widow, about whose plight so many of them had waxed eloquent when they thought they were going to be spending the taxpayers’ money rather than their own.

At that time, the records of the House did not include transcripts of speeches made on the floor. So some historians have questioned the authenticity of Crockett’s speech. But Crockett is known to have opposed a similar bill in 1828, and the speech certainly sounds like him.

So does the observation that Ellis says Crockett made to him in private afterwards:

There is one thing now to which I will call your attention. You remember that I proposed to give a week’s pay. There are in that House many very wealthy men—men who think nothing of spending a week’s pay, or a dozen of them, for a dinner or a wine party when they have something to accomplish by it. Some of those same men made beautiful speeches upon the great debt of gratitude which the country owed the deceased—a debt which could not be paid by money—and the insignificance and worthlessness of money, particularly so insignificant a sum as $10,000, when weighed against the honor of the nation. Yet not one of them responded to my proposition. Money with them is nothing but trash when it is to come out of the people. But it is the one great thing for which most of them are striving, and many of them sacrifice honor, integrity, and justice to obtain it. from the article
I have heard a different version of this same story. To me the point is, TAX money is and should be, used for the nations business! I'm not sure but, think it is set aside in the constitution as such! Where charity, no matter how deserving, is a PRIVATE MATTER! This is where the RULE OF LAW comes in, some things must be separate, religion, and government, for example! We simply can't have it BOTH WAYS, if government controls, endorses, mandates, limits, promotes, bans, any religion, that my friend id NOT freedom of religion! If a government decides to GIVE OUR TAX MONEY TO ANY CHARITY, THAT IS ILLEGAL, BECAUSE IT IS NOT THEIR MONEY, IS IT?

Latest posts

Top Bottom