Journalists Tow Camper Behind Electric Truck, End in Stunning Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4668DF3E-17EF-4F4E-9FB0-5B7AD9CFDA34.jpeg

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok im not a electrical engineer and dont claim to be and never stayed at one of the Holiday( whatever it is called where you stay and get a supposely brain transplant to make you smarter). But can someone explain to me in layman english why they dont install a alternator/generator on these EV's to recharge the batteries, to me looks like a simple pulley and belt on the drive shaft or electric motor would work to recharge the batteries while driving.
Sounds like a hybrid may be what you need. I might be ok with one of those, but not an all electric vehicle.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok im not a electrical engineer and dont claim to be and never stayed at one of the Holiday( whatever it is called where you stay and get a supposely brain transplant to make you smarter). But can someone explain to me in layman english why they dont install a alternator/generator on these EV's to recharge the batteries, to me looks like a simple pulley and belt on the drive shaft or electric motor would work to recharge the batteries while driving.
If you could make your idea work, you would have created the first perpetual motion machine. You would be richer that Elon.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in some of the early ev they did recover some of the energy by using electric generators as brakes etc. but i think the extra weight made it a negative.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for one im not planning on ever owning one if i can keep from it, i will stick with my gas powered truck as long as i can and then may get horse and buggy, I dont have to be anywhere in a hurry now days so slow is good and dont wonder to far from home either i like my own bed better than anyone elses.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not just use an efficient gas engine at that point?
Didn't you get the memo? We are going to outlaw gasoline and diesel and put those oil barons in the soup line along with everyone else.

Besides, if you need an engine to charge the batteries, why not just use it to drive the vehicle? You could save all that mining of lithium, cobalt, etc.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an electric UTV that has a KERS on it. It is the most irritating thing about it. As you begin down a hill and you start to apply the brakes to the descent speed you want, the KERS kicks in and your braking force suddenly doubles slowing you more that you want. So you let up on the brakes and you begin to speed back up, but reducing your braking pressure switches off the KERS causing you to go faster than you want so you step harder on the brakes and you get the idea.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried to tell people just how hungry an electric motor gets when put under a substantial load. It squarely falls within my area of expertise. They say well, a gas motor uses more fuel when loaded. I point out an electric vehicle will be a much greater drain on its fuel source. It'll be like an F150 dropping from 20mpg to 10mpg with a 3,000lb load. Especially on uneven terrain. They look at me like I'm an idiot. This is the first real world test I've seen. Lo and behold... truck estimated 160 miles and it made it 86 miles. Gee, that's awful close to half. And that estimate was taking the new load into consideration and it couldn't even get close to that. People are being sold a bill of goods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom