Journalists Tow Camper Behind Electric Truck, End in Stunning Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But, but, Ford said it would recharge itself!

Seriously they may be great for around town in a big city like NYC, but not anywhere else. At least not at this time.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So EV trucks are fine for driving around town, but if you're leaving town you better plan your trip around recharge stations. If you're towing or hauling anything, double the time you planned the trip to take, make a stop at every recharge station you see, and plan to sit waiting for a recharge station because "no trailers allowed".
no thank you
This is what I'm thinking. I'd consider an EV for around town but on the highways for extended trips, gas engines are more practical.

I don't understand why hydrogen-powered engines would not be feasible,

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should have used the diesel version as well. Diesel fuel cost more but they would have prob managed 12-14 mpg, which would have been (based on low12 mpg) would have cost them $68 in diesel which still sucks but $30 cheaper than the gas version.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking. I'd consider an EV for around town but on the highways for extended trips, gas engines are more practical.

They might be feasible but "Oh the humanity!"

On a side note I think the European Union has now decided nuclear power does in fact qualify as clean energy so how bout a mini-reactor in every trunk?

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear self contained beryllium pellet reactor modules are going to be all the rage, once sane people finally kick the “grown ups” out of the way. That’s from twenty years ago so who knows.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Infrastructure, basically, or lack thereof. Back around the time Ahnold was the Gubernator, California tried to build out a hydrogen fueling infrastructure for hydrogen fuel cell cars, but it never caught on. I think they may still have some of the hydrogen fueling stations, but I don't think any major manufacturers are making hydrogen fuel cell vehicles these days, at least not in appreciable numbers.

IIRC, Honda had a big push into hydrogen fuel cells, and a few others had limited-production vehicles, but nobody else got very far into mass production.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ll back in January I-95 in Virginia was shut down due to a snowstorm, people in electric cars were stranded without heat once their batteries died. Gas and diesel vehicles could start their motors and get some heat. I believe people were stranded for 20 hours or so.

Story

Latest posts

Top Bottom