Jug Line size/design .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a few different sized jugs and found that the large styrofoam ones the fish got off of more often.
The ones with heavy bottom weights the fish would get off of at the same rate as a heavy jug.

The lighter jugs that can go under easier or had no weight the fish stayed hooked up and the lines were not as twisted.

I see my large jugs from a distance bouncing up and down in the water only to get to it and no fish and slimed line.

Channel cats were the culprits of jugs bobbing up and down.
Most hooked in the side of the mouth I did hook some that had the mouth torn in the corner from a previous escape from a hook.

So my theory is make a jug that pulls under easy enough to keep from ripping lips.
I caught more fish off jugs with minimal weight 1/2 oz on no weight.
When I drift fish the Arkansas river using fishing poles I get more fish with NO weight or 1/2 oz.

How do you guys set your jugs up?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like big jugs!

…except when fishing. 😁

One foot sections of swim noodles work great. Before that, I would use 2 liter pop bottles and no more than 1 oz weights.

When I fished from the bank with no boat, I would tie a jug line with a 20 oz pop bottle with line to near bottom depth, then run about 4 more feet of line and tie on a 2 liter jug or a 1 gal milk or bleach jug to the end. I could then toss that into the lake or pond. Being as it wasn’t all the way on bottom, it would drift out a ways. When I would see the jugs bobbing or moving, I would cast a weighted treble hook between the two jugs to snatch the line and reel in my catch. I have even done this in ponds, leaving the lines overnight and coming back the next day to pull my lines in. Caught many a pond cat in this fashion.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see the trash all the time from lost jugs. I would like to see jug lines limited to 5 per person and no more than 10 per boat and must be within eye sight or they should be picked up.
Summer water temps kill a bunch of fish that is wasted. Meat hogs in late winter/early spring cover multiple good fishing spots up with 20 eyesores per person often 3-6 people on a boat.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see the trash all the time from lost jugs. I would like to see jug lines limited to 5 per person and no more than 10 per boat and must be within eye sight or they should be picked up.
Summer water temps kill a bunch of fish that is wasted. Meat hogs in late winter/early spring cover multiple good fishing spots up with 20 eyesores per person often 3-6 people on a boat.
Yep amount of trash at lake sucks picked up trash nonstop when i lived on the lake jugs and limb lines supposed to have name address license # etc if they would enforce the rules and make people come pick them up or fine the hell out of them it would help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use swim noodles 2.5' long with a PVC center that contains a piece of rebar inside. The noodle sits flat on the water until a fish hits it, then the rebar slides to the bottom and I get a "tip up" showing a fish is on the line.
16 oz solo cup filled with concrete for a weight and #2 saltwater circle hooks. Lines are set for a maximum depth of 18' because the lakes develop a thermocline of around 18' that contains little oxygen below that. Set them deeper and you will pull up dead fish.
Hooks 5' apart for a maximum of three and I set them along the original river channel where intersecting creek channels occur, and flats are nearby.
Blue's use the river and creek channels like highways chasing shad that typically move up into the flats at night.
Getting jugs between the flats and the channels really works great.
Jugs are required to have the fishers name, address and now their personal ODW ID number on the jugs/trotlines/stringers If I remember correctly.
I've gone to Amazon, researched "trapper tags" and found where you can get 50 copper tags with your information stamped out and sent to you for very little money.
https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Stamp...656394035&sprefix=trapper+tags,aps,142&sr=8-3

Latest posts

Top Bottom