Jumping into form 1 cans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my can the last couple of days a little bit. First I shot some .22 out of my 10/22. It lowered the sound considerably. Weirdly some of the shots I could barely hear and then some were a lot louder. Guess it was the ammo. I shot a little out of my AKV and it did the same. Lowered the sound a great deal. I didn’t use hearing protection and my ears didn’t ring or anything. There wasn’t the loud echo that there usually is. It sounded less loud than shooting my 10/22 unsuppressed. This is a dumb question but can the baffles be switched around or do they have to face a certain direction?

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
baffle design from what i've read is best suited with the tips of the cones facing the muzzle. according to stuff that sounds good enough to me, especially if your baffles are clipped, when the bullet goes through the hole, horizontal forces are induced on the rapidly expanding gasses as the pressure wave around the bullet gets sheared away by the baffles. this horizontal turbulence in essence just makes the flow of the gas disrupted and forces it to bounce around inside the can, rather than all exit the end of the barrel in the nice, uniform wave. this causes the sharp spike of the initial pressure wave after the bullet exits (and a bit before!) to level off, AND reduces the amount of reverberation from that initial blast.

that being said, i *have* seen can designs that have the cones facing *away* from the muzzle. pretty sure they were still effective, but imo i don't see how they could be *more* effective.

the reason why you are getting inconsistent results with your 10/22 is barrel length and bullet velocity. out of a 4'' pistol barrel, most normally loaded .22lr is going to come out of the barrel at subsonic velocities. however, out of a 16'' or longer barrel, unless the ammo is subsonic, it's going to be cracking when it comes out. you are hearing some of the bullets crack the sound barrier, while some may not. that's just the beauty of shooting .22lr suppressed.

as to why it sounded louder than 9mm, were you shooting subsonic 9mm ammo? anything bigger than 145gr or so 9mm is going to be subsonic. in my experience, the biggest difference in effectiveness of the can is definitely how fast the bullet is moving.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 2 ends to a silencer.
The proximal and distal.
The prox end screws on your gun.
The distal end is where the bullet comes out.
Standard baffles (cones) the pointed end faces the prox end which results in gases being sheared off and swirling around to reduce the noise.
In the case of "K" cup like quietbore the flat side faces the prox end and does the shearing . the cupped ends face the distal end.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 2 ends to a silencer.
The proximal and distal.
The prox end screws on your gun.
The distal end is where the bullet comes out.
Standard baffles (cones) the pointed end faces the prox end which results in gases being sheared off and swirling around to reduce the noise.
In the case of "K" cup like quietbore the flat side faces the prox end and does the shearing . the cupped ends face the distal end.
Ok. Thanks. I have the bigger end facing the muzzle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom