Jumping on the No Classifieds for Non Contributing Members Train

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a chance the other day on a new member to buy two rifles. I’m in Guymon and drove all the way to Sieling to meet him halfway.

I was lucky and the drive was worth it. He was there early. The only downside was while he was waiting on me to get there he went in to get a cup of coffee and locked his keys in his car.

met with two other members around the same time so things ended up working out. By the time his car got unlocked i was finishing up a trade with @HoLeChit and the purchase went smooth.

I agree with you though. If these new guys aren’t gonna contribute to the community then the classifieds needs to be limited to just the actual established members.

I haven’t seen him post in the other threads though so that’s kind of a bummer. He has positive feedback from me though. @ForsakenConservative
Dang you pretty much planned an eat and meet up there in Seiling. You should plan another and see if we can't find somewhere to shoot as well.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a relatively new member of OSA and don’t know if long established members will take offense by my two-cents on the matter of the classifieds. But here goes!

I had been using Armslist over the years and when they started charging to even reply to an Ad I started looking around for alternatives. I stumbled across OSA and read along for a good while before posting some firearms for sale. I posted the items before ever making any other posts or contributing to any discussions. The items posted, I felt were fairly priced and evidently so did the established members that I transacted with. A good deal is when both parties win.

After meeting the members and finding each a pleasure to deal with, I decided to contribute to some of the discussion topics, not that I have that much to offer, because by reading along I find many members have more knowledge than I on many topics. So my point being is that perhaps some of the new people posting items for sale might not feel comfortable with their own level of knowledge or even writing skills? And if they are simply using the site to sell over-priced items and no one bites, they will most likely move on to somewhere else.

I’m confused about how classifieds can be offensive. I look at them and most I ignore because they are items I’m not interested in purchasing and if I see what I think way over-priced, I laugh and say good luck at that price.

I still look at Armslist and have seen a few items I would like to have purchased, but the sellers don’t list a contact phone number and I’m not going to pay to simply contact them. And just like the classifieds on OSA, some items in my opinion, are way over priced and I simply laugh and wish them luck.

I am happy to continue supporting OSA as I enjoy reading along and following all of Swampratt’s sagas. I don’t know any other site I enjoy more or offers what OSA does.

BTW when I posted items for sale I had a few established members offer less than I was willing to take and I politely said no thanks. I have also purchased items from OSA members and also made a couple offers that were rejected. No hurt feelings on my part when they are firm on price.

Ok, guess I’ll get my newbie rant on........
I was introduced to this site some time ago, by a coworker/fellow enthusiast, and lurked. I enjoyed the posts, the opinions and the bitching, but felt too much of an outsider to participate.
Things occurred in my microscopic world (completely outside the dumpster fire our borderless country has devolved into, which does not help a bit!) that drove me to rethink what I felt I needed to hold onto.
I’ve decided I’m not playing the game, chasing the pendulum as it swings left and right..... I need to simplify, and that means turning some cherished things loose.
I felt this was a good place to start, having known people who had good experiences with members here, thinking the readers here might appreciate what I have decided to sell.
I’m not looking to capitalize on the current frenzy, nor am I giving anything away, but I do have some very nice things that need new homes so I can focus more on what remains important to me.
I was fortunate to have encountered panhandleglocker on my first contact, he was more than patient with me stumbling through a really bad and awkward day......
I truthfully wanted to see how the contact went, if the classified listing went well, etc. before I committed to “supporting” with paid membership (I will likely need more than the three free listings) to meet my objectives. If it takes paying ten bucks to make people think I’m worthy of their time, so be it, but I would assume most folks here have lived long enough to get a feel for the motives of others posting here.
Perhaps when I get closer to my goals I will be able to put more time on this keyboard, but until then I will do what I can. I’d hope the senior/seasoned members here can endure us newbies as we stumble along.....
As far as President O’Harris (or anyone else) kicking my door in to take my evil inanimate magazines, they will be “greeted” without haste. I know I will not likely survive, but I don’t intend to go alone.....

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was introduced to this site some time ago, by a coworker/fellow enthusiast, and lurked. I enjoyed the posts, the opinions and the *****ing, but felt too much of an outsider to participate.
Things occurred in my microscopic world (completely outside the dumpster fire our borderless country has devolved into, which does not help a bit!) that drove me to rethink what I felt I needed to hold onto.
I’ve decided I’m not playing the game, chasing the pendulum as it swings left and right..... I need to simplify, and that means turning some cherished things loose.
I felt this was a good place to start, having known people who had good experiences with members here, thinking the readers here might appreciate what I have decided to sell.
I’m not looking to capitalize on the current frenzy, nor am I giving anything away, but I do have some very nice things that need new homes so I can focus more on what remains important to me.
I was fortunate to have encountered panhandleglocker on my first contact, he was more than patient with me stumbling through a really bad and awkward day......
I truthfully wanted to see how the contact went, if the classified listing went well, etc. before I committed to “supporting” with paid membership (I will likely need more than the three free listings) to meet my objectives. If it takes paying ten bucks to make people think I’m worthy of their time, so be it, but I would assume most folks here have lived long enough to get a feel for the motives of others posting here.
Perhaps when I get closer to my goals I will be able to put more time on this keyboard, but until then I will do what I can. I’d hope the senior/seasoned members here can endure us newbies as we stumble along.....
As far as President O’Harris (or anyone else) kicking my door in to take my evil inanimate magazines, they will be “greeted” without haste. I know I will not likely survive, but I don’t intend to go alone.....

I'm a newbie too, but enjoy stumbling along, having fun and perhaps aggravating a few along the way. Welcome to the Newbie's club.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was introduced to this site some time ago, by a coworker/fellow enthusiast, and lurked. I enjoyed the posts, the opinions and the *****ing, but felt too much of an outsider to participate.
Damn, I read your post and I thought to myself that you sound like a fella I'd like to visit with. Then I looked and you live out here where I do. Now I really think it'd be great to talk more with you. Welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Top Bottom