June has been a mother of a month. Here's to a better July

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Job is complete! Should have the vent covers this afternoon.
1657727029818.png

1657727047443.png

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In June I needed someone to run some wire and hang a few boxes/pvc pipe/conduit on the wall of my work shed. Not a hard job and perfect for an easy buck.
First, I couldn't find anyone that wanted to work. I live in a very small poor community. I worked all my life and would have been thrilled to have a job like this handed to me. Had three kids come over, all from poor families, and told them what I'd pay (about 5 times what it was worth and then some) and they said they couldn't do it unless there was AC in the building. I told them they could do it early in the mornings but I'd hook up the ac for them anyway. Still it was just too much work.
I had given up on humanity when I came home and found it all done. I asked my wife which kid came over to do it and she said it was my great nephew. He's in HS and even though his dad makes very good money, all of our family's kids are expected to work in the summer. Never to interfere with playing ball or enjoying the summer but to give them a sense of value. It's just a thing all of us did with our kids and they with their kids. He heard about it and just came and did it. Would not take any money for it. Finally I told him that I loved him and he was a good man that I also respected him but for me to keep respect for myself, he has to let me pay him. I did and I've never been so proud and think maybe this generation has a chance.
This was in the Month of July, so July is looking good

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a shower leak a couple months back. Noticed the carpet was wet in the hallway along the wall that shares the shower.

I thought now way thats leaking. Well it was.

I got lucky, I was able to grind out and regrout the tile in the shower about a foot high on down. Then re sealed.

Fixed the issue.

I was not looking forward to busting out drywall and then a tiled shower.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In June I needed someone to run some wire and hang a few boxes/pvc pipe/conduit on the wall of my work shed. Not a hard job and perfect for an easy buck.
First, I couldn't find anyone that wanted to work. I live in a very small poor community. I worked all my life and would have been thrilled to have a job like this handed to me. Had three kids come over, all from poor families, and told them what I'd pay (about 5 times what it was worth and then some) and they said they couldn't do it unless there was AC in the building. I told them they could do it early in the mornings but I'd hook up the ac for them anyway. Still it was just too much work.
I had given up on humanity when I came home and found it all done. I asked my wife which kid came over to do it and she said it was my great nephew. He's in HS and even though his dad makes very good money, all of our family's kids are expected to work in the summer. Never to interfere with playing ball or enjoying the summer but to give them a sense of value. It's just a thing all of us did with our kids and they with their kids. He heard about it and just came and did it. Would not take any money for it. Finally I told him that I loved him and he was a good man that I also respected him but for me to keep respect for myself, he has to let me pay him. I did and I've never been so proud and think maybe this generation has a chance.
This was in the Month of July, so July is looking good

When we moved to OK in 1979, the week of Thanksgiving, we moved to Tupelo of all places.

Man was I in shock the next morning when I walked outside LOL. I had spent all of my 13 years up to then on the east and west coast, in big cities.

Anyway my first summer out here I got a job hauling hay. Dear god. a Nickel for each bail the field made

I think every boy should have to spend a few summers in the hay field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom