Just a test thread here - 3rd party hosting on SmugMug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you are still able to post a picture, I'll try one. However, while I can now see my images when I click on them at PB, they are still saying that one has to go to Plus 500 (at $400 per year) to keep doing so. I also noticed on their "blog" that they are saying that they are the "best" for unlimited uploads, but their prices are higher and anyone other than the subscriber that has paid the $400 still gets to see all their ads and slow website action. Lets see what my test does here:

Should be an image of one of the Durango/Silverton steam trains.

Edit: Nope. Still can't post. I'll still stick with Smugmug, which doesn't have any ads for anyone viewing the site. All I've noticed in the past is that for some reason, the pictures I have posted here at OSA in the past have still shown up. However, I've not looked in a couple of weeks, so who knows; they may be gone.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, all of my PB links broke, I got pissed and pulled all of my pics and closed my account, I might have over reacted...

Regardless I'll take a look at Smugmug, seems to work well for you.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. Now that is interesting. Last night when I went to post that train picture, I got the image about 3rd party hosting and needing to upgrade. I'm wondering if PB is beginning to get the message that no one wants to pay $400 for a service that Smugmug charges only $300 (for the most expensive plan for professional photographers). But to me, the kicker is that Smugmug is ad free for ALL viewers and when one clicks on their thumbnails to see a larger image, that image is nearly the size of the full window, not just a small one about 4"x6".

The image below is one from Smugmug, while the one above is from Photobucket. If one clicks on the image in the body of the forum comment, one goes to the same picture at Photobucket or to the gallery where the photo is located at Smugmug. Then at Smugmug, one can click on the thumbnail to see the larger image, which is definitely larger than Photobucket's image.

Edit: I just tested the Smugmug picture, and it does go ahead and take one to the larger image instead of just showing the gallery it is in.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to be wary of third party venders to include the 'CLOUD' (which is just off-site storage managed by someone else). All my pics are downloaded to an HHD with another one backing that one up. I did purchase a picture editing program on a hard disc (Movavi Photo Studio by Avangate) which seems to fulfill any need I have to enhance my photos.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That isn't my storage solution, that is just an online host so I don't have to continually upload pictures. I just wanted one place to store pictures that I would post on forums.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That isn't my storage solution, that is just an online host so I don't have to continually upload pictures. I just wanted one place to store pictures that I would post on forums.

Same with me. My account at Photobucket has close to 2700 pictures, although not all of those are ones I have taken. All my photos are on an external hard drive, which is also subject to a double backup. I have no idea of just how many personal photos I have taken, but it is somewhere in the 10's of thousands of photos.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot for less than 400 per year you can have full websites and "unlimited" storage. Grab something like https://lychee.electerious.com/ and install to the webserver and basically have your own photobucket.

Shoot I may do that anyway since it will be easier than what I do now.

Smugmug is close to that idea. Their most expensive plan is $300 if paid annually, and the next level is $150 a year if paid annually, and their other two plans are even less, and if I understand this correctly, all plans have unlimited uploads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom