Just back from the range with kimger 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to range today and decided to do the indoor, even though it's beautiful outside.
Shooting the Kimber 45 with Federal brass 230 grain.
Pic one is the Kim, with target, at 10 yards 20 rounds.
Pic two is target at 15 yards 20 rounds.
Pic three is target at 20 yards 20 rounds
Pic four is target at 10 yards 40 rounds rapid fire.
Pic five is the range with target set at 20 yards as a reference point.
This is a small but nice range in Ada, Oklahoma. Only opened on weekends.
Kim with target 20 rounds 10 yards 1.JPG
Kim target 15 yds 20 rounds 2.JPG
Kim with target 20 rds 20 yards 3.JPG
Kim with target 10 yards 40 rounds rapid fire 4.JPG
Kim at my range view 20 yrd target 5.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I was happier with the rapid fire results. No one but me at the range, so I just loaded all my mags and fired as fast as I could to stay on paper. Mag changes were fun with only one hiccup.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a shot timer. The one most competition shooters prefer is the CED 7000.
If you're drawing from a holster, or the hands above the shoulder position,(formerly called the surrender position that has been changed in the rule book) you can select a random beep for the start and it will register the time your first, second, third shot etc will go off. Watch some video's of the fast draw competitors and see if you can match up! LOL, you won't, and most of us mere mortals won't either, but it's a good training tool to see how your speed picks up with practice.
Dry fire is a HUGE tool and you can do that at home.
I understand you're in a closed environment that won't let you draw from the holster, but when you do go to an outdoor range, and draw from concealment or open carry, you can get an Idea of how your training is progressing.
Screw the apps you can get on your phone. They suck, and are nowhere near the real deal.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a shot timer. The one most competition shooters prefer is the CED 7000.
If you're drawing from a holster, or the hands above the shoulder position,(formerly called the surrender position that has been changed in the rule book) you can select a random beep for the start and it will register the time your first, second, third shot etc will go off. Watch some video's of the fast draw competitors and see if you can match up! LOL, you won't, and most of us mere mortals won't either, but it's a good training tool to see how your speed picks up with practice.
Dry fire is a HUGE tool and you can do that at home.
I understand you're in a closed environment that won't let you draw from the holster, but when you do go to an outdoor range, and draw from concealment or open carry, you can get an Idea of how your training is progressing.
Screw the apps you can get on your phone. They suck, and are nowhere near the real deal.
I have a couple of places I can do draw and fire drills at, but just don't do it much. Private land of a friend and on some land of the family. Indoor range will let me do a lot but not draw fire.
I watch some pretty good shooters (hell they shoot every day) at my club but they have all the race guns with all the buzzers and whistles. You would laugh at what I was attempting to time myself with and you would laugh harder, if I could have got a decent accurate time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of places I can do draw and fire drills at, but just don't do it much. Private land of a friend and on some land of the family. Indoor range will let me do a lot but not draw fire.
I watch some pretty good shooters (hell they shoot every day) at my club but they have all the race guns with all the buzzers and whistles. You would laugh at what I was attempting to time myself with and you would laugh harder, if I could have got a decent accurate time.
The timer will record your progress in the training.
It doesn't matter what you think your level of training is, the timer will tell you.
As said before, dry fire at home Is what all the top level shooters do. It does make a difference.
Proper grip is important, and dry fire is what gets that first shot off much quicker in a game when your life depends on it, or in a comp when 1st and 5th is decided by a few 10th's of a second.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do it under a timer it will show you your weaknesses in a real fast hurry.
Got to get a proper holster. My club allows draw fire (lots of shoots there) and I can do it on family land, but practice is important. Will be getting a timer.
Played with a couple of phone apps but they don't work. Will be picking one up this winter.
Have been looking at the the CZ Shadow lately. Hope I don't go there. If I do, I'll be selling my Springfield ROO, even though I love that gun.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried a few phone apps and I got a few to work sometimes but not all the time. Friend of mine has a real one and it will show you what youre doing for sure. I hope to get one some time soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom