Just bought a 9mm Springfield Armory SA-35.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is only my opinion as a long time Browning HI POWER fan. The Springfield SA35 is amazing. It only lacks the high polish finish. But there is NO mag disconnect so you win 3 ways there. Your pistol isn't rendered disabled in a simple mag change. The mags will now easily eject. Now you can have a much better trigger. All at a great low price. The EAA GIRSAN hi power has the mag disconnect. The coating/finish may be popular but seems cheap looking to me. Especially compared to the SA. There is too little diff in $ not to go with Springfield as they are a quality company. I have other EAA with no issue against them.

A lot to unpack here...... now I'm going to compare the two models I own/owned.... the SA-35 and the Girsan MCP 35 OPS.

-The Girsan OPS model does NOT have a mag disconnect and mags drop freely.
-The Girsan OPS has extended controls.
-The coating is not cheap, and better than the SA-35
-The trigger is better than the SA-35, but the SA-35 had a good trigger anyways.
-The beavertail was the difference maker for me, I'd still have a SA-35 if I wasn't getting hammer bite so bad.
-The price for my Girsan OPS was $599, I believe the price for my SA-35 was $650 or $700.

Nothing wrong with either gun depending on what you're looking for.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A lot to unpack here...... now I'm going to compare the two models I own/owned.... the SA-35 and the Girsan MCP 35 OPS.

-The trigger is better than the SA-35, but the SA-35 had a good trigger anyways.
-The beavertail was the difference maker for me, I'd still have a SA-35 if I wasn't getting hammer bite so bad.
-The price for my Girsan OPS was $599, I believe the price for my SA-35 was $650 or $700.

Thanks JD8!

If the SA-35 was actually US made that would weigh in its favor.

The MCP35 Match I held gave me the warm fuzzies like pretty much every BHP I’ve ever held has. I like the idea of a rail, but my new to me CZ P-09 has higher capacity, mag well, optics cut, and threaded barrel.

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45DB8526-0441-4C4A-BE45-C1110DE5ADD7.jpeg

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Weird question, what size gloves do you wear? I ask due to hammer bite. Main reason I’m leaning towards an ops or match. 1911s withour a beaver tail bite the crap out off me. Another reason being not trusting SA after my prodigy chambered a whole 1 round…

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weird question, what size gloves do you wear? I ask due to hammer bite. Main reason I’m leaning towards an ops or match. 1911s withour a beaver tail bite the crap out off me. Another reason being not trusting SA after my prodigy chambered a whole 1 round…

Springfield did a really good job on this one. The prodigy will be a good platform, they just need a year or two. Size 9 glove.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not being a Shi-Thead, but I have yet to experience hammer bite. Even when we had GI 1911s I never experienced it. One of my teammates did, but I attributed it to his stumpy hands and the way he gripped the gun.

Probably because everyone is different. :D Hammer bite is a thing, even for those that know how to grip a gun.

All that being said, this was my first time too. I've never once had an issue with a 1911and I own several, even ones with a thick spur hammer. I've also never had an issue with a Hi-power, but the hammers on ones I've previously owned were different, either spur or a C&S hammer. The SA-35 has a thick ring hammer, so I guess that made a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom