Just bought a 9mm Springfield Armory SA-35.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Probably because everyone is different. :D Hammer bite is a thing, even for those that know how to grip a gun.

All that being said, this was my first time too. I've never once had an issue with a 1911and I own several, even ones with a thick spur hammer. I've also never had an issue with a Hi-power, but the hammers on ones I've previously owned were different, either spur or a C&S hammer. The SA-35 has a thick ring hammer, so I guess that made a difference.
I might have to get one

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry i was not aware of the othe girsan offerings without mag disconnect. Very aware that can be easily removed to assist in mag ejection and allowing trigger to be improved. Was only able to handle a couple of the base grisan pistols. Is the finish better on those models?

I purchased another Belgian Hi Power for the sole purpose of having some minor improvements done before having it hard chrome plated because no Stainless Hi Power existed. The first SA35 I handled was so impressive that i decided then and there the Springfield would be the base for my mod. Subsequent examples were just as nice.

My career included mechanical inspection for a huge corporation with knowledge and capability to evaluate finishes required. Stand by my OPINION concerning finish on the limited samples i handled.

Aware hammer bite is a thing. Never have experienced it with any Hi Power or 1911. Couldn't tell you why. Shoot both alot and well. Will shoot the SA35 stock before having mods done. If i get bit it will be simple to have hammer changed/modified.

With prices quoted here would still recommend the Springfield. All that being said, i actually think the CZ 75 is a superior handgun. LOTS of Hi Power influence in that design.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably because everyone is different. :D Hammer bite is a thing, even especially for those that know how to grip a gun.
Anyone with a proper high grip and a little extra meat in the web of their hands will get bitten. I’m one of the comparatively few folks I know who get slide bite from a Glock and the way my hands are built, it makes OG 1911’s, HP’s, PPK’s and the like pretty much unshootable. It’s bad enough that I’ve built custom HP’s and welded beaver tails on to combat it and just given up on most older designs. The new Girsan HP is a total game changer for me and I can’t wait until they do a compact version with a Beavertail.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry i was not aware of the othe girsan offerings without mag disconnect. Very aware that can be easily removed to assist in mag ejection and allowing trigger to be improved. Was only able to handle a couple of the base grisan pistols. Is the finish better on those models?

I purchased another Belgian Hi Power for the sole purpose of having some minor improvements done before having it hard chrome plated because no Stainless Hi Power existed. The first SA35 I handled was so impressive that i decided then and there the Springfield would be the base for my mod. Subsequent examples were just as nice.

My career included mechanical inspection for a huge corporation with knowledge and capability to evaluate finishes required. Stand by my OPINION concerning finish on the limited samples i handled.

Aware hammer bite is a thing. Never have experienced it with any Hi Power or 1911. Couldn't tell you why. Shoot both alot and well. Will shoot the SA35 stock before having mods done. If i get bit it will be simple to have hammer changed/modified.

With prices quoted here would still recommend the Springfield. All that being said, i actually think the CZ 75 is a superior handgun. LOTS of Hi Power influence in that design.
The SA is a blued gun, the match ops seems to be a spray and bake of some sort. Neither are bad, but blued guns wear quicker.

For me it was a no brainer, welding on a beavertail with refinish could cost nearly as much as a Girsan Match. Then you throw in the adjustable sights, Fiber Optic front, G10 grips, flat trigger, and extended controls. Granted the Match OPS has some gaudy warning on the side, I'm mainly looking for function.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The SA is a blued gun, the match ops seems to be a spray and bake of some sort. Neither are bad, but blued guns wear quicker.

For me it was a no brainer, welding on a beavertail with refinish could cost nearly as much as a Girsan Match. Then you throw in the adjustable sights, Fiber Optic front, G10 grips, flat trigger, and extended controls. Granted the Match OPS has some gaudy warning on the side, I'm mainly looking for function.
You should fix the gaudy warning labels by adding gaudy contrasting color fill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom