Just finished "Ol' Blue"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm told I Can't sell it, unless I sell it to one of the family members. Supposed to keep it in the family.
But that will be some time, I haven't even enjoyed it yet.
& I've had my 69 Charger for 21 years, & I still enjoy it.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished this 4 year project. 57 Chevy pickup, deluxe model, original 265 V8 with a 4 spd trans added. My grandfather (my moms dad) purchased this truck in 1970, so this has been in the family for 50 years.
When he was killed in an auto accident in 74, my grandma used this truck as her primary transportation for quite a few years until my uncle needed a vehicle to go to college. Then he got the truck.
Through some shrewd negotiations, my mom then took possession of 'Ol Blue & I began the restoration.
It still sports all its original trim, except for the bumpers, sheetmetal (except for the rust that cut out & replaced), original engine rear end with 4.11 gears. Painted back original color, upgraded electrical, all the good stuff.
Its been a fun project, & the only things I didn't or couldn't do was the machine work on the engine, the assymbly of the engine, & installing the windshield.View attachment 172476 View attachment 172480 View attachment 172483
Great job! I'll be looking forward to seeing it on the streets in our neck of the woods!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just hope I don't hate those 4.11 gears.
I wouldn't mind putting a different rear end (rear axle) under it, but I will want to keep the 6 lug wheels.
Lots more low end towing power with those gears. I know your not going to tow with it. 4:30 gears in my Tundra. New Super Duty F-250 on order right now will also sport 4:30 gearing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mods, yep
The holes of the rails of the bed are holding a 3rd brake lights, which also become white reverse light when in reverse, changed the vaccuum wiper motor to 3 spd electric, definitely changed that ol' 2 barrel carb to a 450 cfm 4 barrel carb, (I couldn't stand to have that old oil bath air cleaner in it) should be good for the ol 265 that is bored .030 over. Glasspack exhaust, this truck never did have the floor starter, has always been start with the key (at least for the 50 years it's been in this family), pertronix electronic ignition, (was unable to go HEI & keep the same size dist cap to be able to clear the firewall).
Relocated fuel tank from behind seat to under the bed. Check out the pic & see the location of the fuel filler neck where probably no other 57 Chevy truck has.
All Auto Meter guages with a GPS driven speedometer which is very neat.

Thanks for the comments guys, just waiting on the insurance card so I can get the tag & get it out on the road for my maiden voyage in this beast.
I forgot to list the gas cap relocate. I saw that too. What gas flap did you use?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice! I ran a 4.10 rear gear in my old '70 Charger, and a 4.30 in my old '70 Challenger. I'd keep the 4.11s, should be lots of fun with a four speed. The great thing about the old cars/trucks--so easy to work on, such space in and around the engine compartment, just a joy to tinker with. Damn, now you got me feeling nostalgic. Great job on Ol' Blue!

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished this 4 year project. 57 Chevy pickup, deluxe model, original 265 V8 with a 4 spd trans added. My grandfather (my moms dad) purchased this truck in 1970, so this has been in the family for 50 years.
When he was killed in an auto accident in 74, my grandma used this truck as her primary transportation for quite a few years until my uncle needed a vehicle to go to college. Then he got the truck.
Through some shrewd negotiations, my mom then took possession of 'Ol Blue & I began the restoration.
It still sports all its original trim, except for the bumpers, sheetmetal (except for the rust that cut out & replaced), original engine rear end with 4.11 gears. Painted back original color, upgraded electrical, all the good stuff.
Its been a fun project, & the only things I didn't or couldn't do was the machine work on the engine, the assymbly of the engine, & installing the windshield.View attachment 172476 View attachment 172480 View attachment 172483
Nice job. It looks brand new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom