Just FYI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOTGUN12

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've basically whittled my hot stuff down to 3 items...

- Sliced, pickled jalapenos (we buy 'em by the gallon).
- Tabasco sauce. Plenty of heat for my system, and I like the flavor.
- Chipotle sauce (Tabasco brand). It's not near hot as tabasco, but has a great smoky flavor that I really like. It's great on pizza.

We also have some African Birdseye ground pepper (it's basically heat with very little flavor). I bought it because I don't care for the "whang" of cayenne pepper when it takes so much to make foods spicy. Haven't used the Birdseye in a while - ha! hadn't even thought about it in a while, until this post... :D

I like some heat, but I don't want anything painfully hot. Not interested in habaneros at all (threw out the last jar we had), or anything else in that heat range.

I got nothing to prove.
:drunk2:

Amen brother. anything that actually hurts to eat, is something I do not need to impress anyone, or pretend to enjoy.:flamed:

There's a chili sauce brand that has a pic of a chicken on their label .... Sriracha brand, (Wal Mart)I've been using for several years now.
There's one thing I won't tolerate is these so-called chili sauces that are 75% vinegar .... like Tabasco.
I can do without vinegar on most of my my foods. I use chili sauce on food for the taste not just to burn the shiite out of my taste buds. They're already about useless after 50 years of smoking anyway.

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- Chipotle sauce (Tabasco brand). It's not near hot as tabasco, but has a great smoky flavor that I really like. It's great on pizza...
Thank you for the review. I've been debating buying some to try.
I use Louisiana cayenne hot sauces normally.
Also Valentina is good.
Cholula (spelling ??) tastes "earthy" to me (i.e., like it's got dirt in it), don't know why.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told years ago that those bottles were included because the McIlhennys cut the gov't a serious deal on them. Apparently, that was because one of the McIlhennys was a Marine, and he remembered how awful the food was while he was overseas. (Seems like he was at Guadalcanal, but I could be mistaken about that.)
The very first MREs did not have the hot sauce. They truly needed something, anything to help the lack of flavor.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Left over hot dogs & onions fried first, then add eggs to scramble. Serve with green or medium salsa after oral surgery. Change to hot sauce instead of salsa when recovered

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember those little bottles of Tabasco that we used to get in our MRE's? It was like the .Gov knew the the stuff was next to inedible so they threw a bottle of hot sauce in there so we could choke it down. That and about 6 squares of TP per MRE were the best part of the damn things.
The trouble with being an officer is I usually waited until my troops were fed before I got in line for the C Rats. By that time all that was left was ham n eggs.

I carried my Tabasco in my helmet cover strap with my latrine ticket.
ax047-0.jpeg

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom