Just getting started, .308 Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just started getting in to reloading. I've tried a few different loads with Hornady 150gr sst but haven't had any real good results yet. Today I tried some Hornady 168gr BTHP and had better luck. Maybe this rifle just likes the heavier bullet? Was using 40.7gr of Accurate 2495, federal brass and cci primers. Seems like a decent enough 5 shot group for this rifle/setup.
IMG_20201029_181437_645.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That'll definitely lean towards preferring the heavy stuff. You should try some 175s and see what happens.

Ruger seems to stick with odd twist rates (IMO) that require some playing around. Ironically I just had this convo about Ruger and their twist rates about an hour ago LOL

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with @adamsredlines, heavier bullet will help you with your specific barrel. Here's a quick breakdown. These aren't rules set in stone for the .308 by any means, but a useful guide to start with.

1:15 up to 150 grains
1:14 150 to 168 grains
1:12 168 to 170 grains
1:10 170 to 220 grains
1:8 220 grains or more

During your testing, you might find a lighter bullet that shoots fantastic. If you do come across that, and your happy with your ballistics data, go with it! Part of the fun is load development (in my opinion). 1:10 is a faster twist rate for a .308, so something on the mid to heavier side will probably suit your rifle better. What are you loading for, hunting, long range, etc.?

Now get to loading, shooting, and posting up chrono data and pics for us!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you know Some Accurate 2495 had a recall on it???

The 8 pounder I had was one of them.

My savage rifles also have 1:10 twist and that is not an odd twist.
I started with the 180 game king and it was horrible with all loads.
Went with the 165 game king BTHP not the 168 and accuracy was terrific.

Do not stop at 100 yards with your group shooting .
Move out to 200 yards. This week it looks as if the winds are a bit lower.

Your groups you are getting at 100 may be the same size at 200.
I have found that to be about true with my shorter barrel .308 rifles.

Another thing that really needs to be done is anneal case necks each time before resizing and brush necks before and after sizing in the die.
Nylon bore brush chucked up in a drill works fine.
VLD chamfer keeps from peeling guilding metal from those bullets and aids in easier initial seating.

You should be able to pull off .800- 1.25" groups at 200 yards pretty easy.
I had one load with 178A-Max that would print groups in the .375" area at 100 yards every time I went out.
I shot that load at 200 yards and it fell apart to the tune of 8" groups or larger. Like every shot was a flier.

I resorted to working up loads and only shooting them during work up at 200 yards.
I was surprised how well they shot at 300 and farther always sub moa.
But at 100 yards they stayed around 3/4" groups.

Not as impressive as a smaller group at 100 but very consistent.
Another thing was the first shot was always in the same spot as the other shots if the barrel was fouled or clean or cold or hot.

That first shot is the one that counts.
I got a Ruger in .308 and it had a messed up chamber from the factory. Shot every load horrible.
I shoot cast bullets from it now.
So slow and low pressure that you do not need to resize the case.
Very quiet through a suppressor also.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have BL-C(2) powder and the 150 gr try 45 gr of that powder.

Works best with a flat base bullet.
It is a nice node there though.
I found many bullets with a short bearing surface like the sierra 155 match king palma will not shoot well until you speed them way up.
Very top of the load chart or a tick past the load chart in some manuals.
That bullet did not expand in critters either, just penciled right through.

I shot that 155 in 30-06 at 3176 fps and it still would pencil through a deer.
155 A-max or 168 A-Max would anchor them.
178 gr A-max will take out both shoulders way too much meat damage.
Shoot neck and much less lost meat
I have not shot the match kings at a critter. Other than the 155

My powder choice now is IMR 4064 then 8208 XBR then Varget.
RL15 and BL-C(2) work very well also.
I really like the BL-C(2) and flat base 150 gr at 50-100 yard for tree rats. So stupid accurate in both of the 308 rifles I shot them in.
Easy head shots.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just started getting in to reloading. I've tried a few different loads with Hornady 150gr sst but haven't had any real good results yet. Today I tried some Hornady 168gr BTHP and had better luck. Maybe this rifle just likes the heavier bullet? Was using 40.7gr of Accurate 2495, federal brass and cci primers. Seems like a decent enough 5 shot group for this rifle/setup.
Thats a pretty good group from that setup. Do you use a single stage or progressive reload setup. If you need a bullet to hunt with try a Berger 168 Classic Hunter. Ive had excellent results with the 168 in 7 Rem Mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom