Just got a new car!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they meet EPA requirements? Toyota markets a diesel pickup in Europe, but the EPA won't allow it in the US from what I'm hearing.
Modern European and American diesel regs are very close to harmonized, so it doesn't take much for a Euro-compliant diesel to be made EPA-compliant. Most likely, it's not that the EPA is blocking it (the EPA doesn't care, as long as they get their vig), it's just that Toyota doesn't see a return on investment for going through the certification process (which ain't cheap, even if it would pass as-is).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern European and American diesel regs are very close to harmonized, so it doesn't take much for a Euro-compliant diesel to be made EPA-compliant. Most likely, it's not that the EPA is blocking it (the EPA doesn't care, as long as they get their vig), it's just that Toyota doesn't see a return on investment for going through the certification process (which ain't cheap, even if it would pass as-is).
With the reliability of Toyota's, I would think that an engine with more torque in the smaller trucks would be a hit in the ball park, especially getting over 30 mpg which is what they are getting vs 20 mpg on a good day with the 6 bangers on a good day with a tail wind in the US.
$5.00 per gallon for diesel that some states are getting now would drive the truck to show up here I'd think, but I'm not in the marketing business.

Hagiri

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet car, those beats aren’t exactly something you see every day here. I would love to get a hold of a diesel Hilux.
If your ever interested I do offer my services. Ill probably order a kei truck this December and should have it in stock in February. Just a heads up though registering Japanese vehicles with an insurance can be difficult due to the vin number being shorter then there American counter parts.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your ever interested I do offer my services. Ill probably order a kei truck this December and should have it in stock in February. Just a heads up though registering Japanese vehicles with an insurance can be difficult due to the vin number being shorter then there American counter parts.
If insurance is an issue, then they would only be off road vehicles?

Latest posts

Top Bottom