Just got my KA-BAR Warthog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot the pics, better Nate than lever

Attachments

• 5C0AC40D-847A-411D-BC1D-12FF643C5C98.jpeg
    5C0AC40D-847A-411D-BC1D-12FF643C5C98.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 976B83E1-5AB5-47B2-801B-6F5EFC4BA5CC.jpeg
    976B83E1-5AB5-47B2-801B-6F5EFC4BA5CC.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4EFADBC9-C1E7-4C4C-AEA9-E3E52D02F351.jpeg
    4EFADBC9-C1E7-4C4C-AEA9-E3E52D02F351.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

Old_Red

Marksman
Reaction score
A pound of quarter-inch steel as tough as SK-5 with only 52-54 HRc the Heavy Duty Warthog should serve as a hatchet, camp knife, skiing knife, or meat cleaver, and while it is really too short for the job it would split goat, sheep, and reasonably sized hog carcasses down the spine without having to crawl inside the body cavity to do the job. It should also stand up to being batoned through wood longer than most of us can live to do it.

It may be a half-sized descendant of the WW-2 Ka-Bar Bolo marked USMC supposedly issued to Navy Corpsmen in the Pacific for cutting brush and working bamboo for litter poles, splints, tent pegs, and general lumber. I picked one up for $8 bucks. I expect the Warthog has a better balance, weight distribution, and grip than their WW-2 Bolo which was too, heavy, too short, had too much weight too near the hand, with a grip that was almost square. I gave it to a knife-making friend, Ralf Faulconer who lusted after the 1/4 slab of steel for a Bowie.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he probably meant you could sharpen and resharpen hundreds of times and still have plenty of blade left.
Exactly. Professional butchers can turn a 8” chef knife into a 4” paring knife overtime with frequent whetstone sharpening. I sharpen our kitchen knives a lot on stones and the blades do visibly wear away. A wide blade like this could be heavily sharpened for years and slowly change shape/style overtime.

Cool knife! Definitely seems like it’s geared toward the “bushcraft” type stuff. Knives like this are a lot of fun to play imaginary survival man with, while weekend camping with the family 2 hrs from home haha

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Professional butchers can turn a 8” chef knife into a 4” paring knife overtime with frequent whetstone sharpening. I sharpen our kitchen knives a lot on stones and the blades do visibly wear away. A wide blade like this could be heavily sharpened for years and slowly change shape/style overtime.

Cool knife! Definitely seems like it’s geared toward the “bushcraft” type stuff. Knives like this are a lot of fun to play imaginary survival man with, while weekend camping with the family 2 hrs from home haha
Now that would be a cool time-lapse video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom