Just heard about a road rage study and how states ranked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anymore, I think one of the biggest threats to decent driving is everyone's insistence on having their dang phone on and paying more attention to that than anything else. One even sees it at traffic lights that the lead vehicle's driver is on their phone and don't see that the light turned green, thus THEY get honked at. (I wonder just how many of the reported "honkings" in that study was to alert a driver to get his head out of his phone?)

Oh, and I think I read that the study involved a survey of 5000 people nationwide with at least 100 from each state.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The worst was Utah. Seems strange but whatever. What really puzzled me was that OK was the 4th worst while TX was 45. So what is it about crossing the Red River that causes such a disparity? I like to think I have more in common with out Texas brethren than differences. I know we like to take verbal potshots back and forth and the sports rivalries, but are we really such different people in our social considerations for our fellow man? And yes, there have been a few times that my temper got the better of me and contributed to these statistics, but as I age I find myself just shrugging my shoulders and going on enjoying life (maybe with a little hope I see them up ahead in a ditch so I can honk and wave).

I believe that about Utah. A repressed people have to get their frustrations and anger out somehow. I worked as a Deputy Constable for Salt Lake County in 1980 and they were driving aggressive back then. Crazy place.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know when I lived down in Central TX on most farm to market roads the shoulders were often big enough that slower cars/trucks would pull over to let you by or if someone was turning left and waiting on traffic you could ease around them on the shoulders. Then we moved to sw MO where if you tried that they'd try to impound your car or murder your whole family. Not sure the legalities in both places, but a little courtesy and common sense goes a long way and is in rather short supply nowadays.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know when I lived down in Central TX on most farm to market roads the shoulders were often big enough that slower cars/trucks would pull over to let you by or if someone was turning left and waiting on traffic you could ease around them on the shoulders. Then we moved to sw MO where if you tried that they'd try to impound your car or murder your whole family. Not sure the legalities in both places, but a little courtesy and common sense goes a long way and is in rather short supply nowadays.
We lived in Waco in the early 90’s, and the fact that slow drivers would pull over on the shoulder shocked us. That doesn’t happen in east TX.
I’ve been the “victim” in one road rage incident, and to this day, I have no idea what set the guy off. :scratch:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that about Utah. A repressed people have to get their frustrations and anger out somehow. I worked as a Deputy Constable for Salt Lake County in 1980 and they were driving aggressive back then. Crazy place.
Maybe they are just in a hurry to get to the state line so they could get some booze to calm them down.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeppers...

...and when some jerkwad coming up behind you is likely to smash into the rear of your vehicle, the shoulder is a fairly safe place to pull to avoid them. That happened to us twice last year when we were working north Texas with our Summer jobs.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anymore, I think one of the biggest threats to decent driving is everyone's insistence on having their dang phone on and paying more attention to that than anything else. One even sees it at traffic lights that the lead vehicle's driver is on their phone and don't see that the light turned green, thus THEY get honked at. (I wonder just how many of the reported "honkings" in that study was to alert a driver to get his head out of his phone?)

Oh, and I think I read that the study involved a survey of 5000 people nationwide with at least 100 from each state.

I lived south of Houston, my office was on north side. I have seen women driving IN LEFT LANE and make a last second dive for the exit, across 3 lanes. Seen them putting on pantyhose or, using rear view mirror to put on makeup and fix hair, there were newspaper or magazine clipped to steering wheel. This was before cell phones.

Seeing / dealing with these morons makes ME the problem? Sounds like the problem is the moron.

Very small town, just south of Lawton, just off the highway ( 65 mph, 2 lane, no shoulder, no passing ) 3 streets leaving town (25 mph) with stop sign at the highway; there is RARELY a time I have been down that highway that an IDIOT hasn't run the stop sign, turned onto the highway right in front of a vehicle on the highway and drives 35 mph.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in Pennsylvania and I can see why they list us as 49. The people around here drive with a permanent cranial-rectal shunt and have zero idea what is going on around them so how can they get mad? I follow people literally every day going 5-10 under the limit, crossing lines, no signals, and doing everything in their cars but paying attention to the road. A few weeks ago, I saw someone reading an actual book while driving 70+ on the highway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom