Just need your opinion on this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should a licensed bail bonds man should be able to openly carry when casing fugitive

• Yes

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think that a licensed bail bonds man should be able to openly carry when hunting a wanted fugitive? Not a Bounty Hunter. There is a difference.

bsdubois00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope....if you want to do that - become a cop.

I think the last thing we need is a bunch of half trained bails bondsman out there carrying guns and acting like police. Maybe if you require them to go through extensive training MAYBE - but not just hey I'm a bails bonds man I can carry a gun openly....

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. They are an employee of a private co. whose interest is in recovering their asset(s). They are not Law enforcement, in my opinion, and don't need a gun when pursuing a lost asset.
Bail Bonding is a risk/reward environment.
Now, bounty hunting is another story. If a bounty hunter is a peace officer, licensed security officer or private investigator, then sure.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope....if you want to do that - become a cop.

I think the last thing we need is a bunch of half trained bails bondsman out there carrying guns and acting like police. Maybe if you require them to go through extensive training MAYBE - but not just hey I'm a bails bonds man I can carry a gun openly....

Wow, well I was trained in the Marine Corps for eight years in weapons handling. And it's not just oh look I'm a bonds man you must be thinking of a bounty hunter. I have to register with the Oklahoma Insurance Commission and I have a License just like a cop has a commissioned card. I had to pay alot of money to take a class by the OBA I also had to go threw a rigorous OSBI and FBI backround check. I also have to pay about $600 a year to keep my license and membership which is required to be a bonds man. So most people can't even afford the class much less pay the yearly fees.

bsdubois00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, well I was trained in the Marine Corps for eight years in weapons handling. And it's not just oh look I'm a bonds man you must be thinking of a bounty hunter. I have to register with the Oklahoma Insurance Commission and I have a License just like a cop has a commissioned card. I had to pay alot of money to take a class by the OBA I also had to go threw a rigorous OSBI and FBI backround check. I also have to pay about $600 a year to keep my license and membership which is required to be a bonds man. So most people can't even afford the class much less pay the yearly fees.

Sorry that came across wrong - and I in no way down play your ability to properly carry and operate a weapon. But what is to say that every other bonds man does? There are plenty of people that I know that could pass every background check in the world - but I wouldn't dare give them a gun.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for that.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also I am responsible for returning the defendant not the bounty hunter, if I hire a bounty hunter then I also have to make sure he is insured and is not an idiot. I have a ccl but that is very limited to when I can use it. And I can't pull it to kick in a door. only if my life is in danger. plus it's alot harder to pull a gun if it's on the inside of your shirt.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry that came across wrong - and I in no way down play your ability to properly carry and operate a weapon. But what is to say that every other bonds man does? There are plenty of people that I know that could pass every background check in the world - but I wouldn't dare give them a gun.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for that.

True but maybe if they changed the law then they would have to change the training and make them go through a weapons handling class, Maybe same classes as police officers go through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom