Just starting to reload this weekend...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
extra open space in the case will result in lower pressure

Except that when jammed into the lands, the pressure spike is much higher to get the bullet moving. One way that was used to find the maximum safe load for a rifle was to work up loads at the maximum length and watch for pressure signs.

OAL will change depending on the bullet too. A VLD will seat out much farther than a round nose bullet by design. COAL is usually used to figure if you can load them in the magazine. You should be measuring from the ogive to get consistently accurate measurements.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hornady bullet comparator to find my chamber lands with a particular cartridge and bullet.
Bullet comparator measures at the bullet Ogive.

Example: 6 mm C/M Hornady 103 grain ELD-X is loaded to OAL of 2.790"
That particular bullet in a cartridge at MAX L measures 2.820" at the lands with my particular rifle.
That means I have .030" of free bore to work with when experimenting with loads.
Loads at 2.790 - 2.795 OAL shoot great in my rifle.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait a minute. What am I missing? Your data shows C.O.A.L. of 2.810" The figures you are quoting for your rifle are considerably shorter than that, not longer. Did you transpose some numbers, or am I missing something? At any rate, seat the bullets according to your particular rifle taking into account all of the things mentioned here.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait a minute. What am I missing? Your data shows C.O.A.L. of 2.810" The figures you are quoting for your rifle are considerably shorter than that, not longer. Did you transpose some numbers, or am I missing something? At any rate, seat the bullets according to your particular rifle taking into account all of the things mentioned here.
He is talking base to ogive on his rifles oal. Book data lists base to tip

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except that when jammed into the lands, the pressure spike is much higher to get the bullet moving. One way that was used to find the maximum safe load for a rifle was to work up loads at the maximum length and watch for pressure signs.

OAL will change depending on the bullet too. A VLD will seat out much farther than a round nose bullet by design. COAL is usually used to figure if you can load them in the magazine. You should be measuring from the ogive to get consistently accurate measurements.
Yes, when jammed into the lands the pressure peak will occur sooner, touching the lands not so much, especially when using the same charge weight as the shorter oal.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, thank you, I did transpose some numbers. Max rifle COAL with the SMK bullet is 2.9275, not 2.2975. Dyslexia strikes again. Ogive measurement is correct at 2.2225. Max magazine length is 0.015 shorter than COAL at 2.9125. Thanks for catching that. It was late yesterday when I wrote that post and I was trying to go from memory!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, thank you, I did transpose some numbers. Max rifle COAL with the SMK bullet is 2.9275, not 2.2975. Dyslexia strikes again. Ogive measurement is correct at 2.2225. Max magazine length is 0.015 shorter than COAL at 2.9125. Thanks for catching that. It was late yesterday when I wrote that post and I was trying to go from memory!

LOL! No sweat. Trying to understand. At any rate, you've obviously got the idea. Seat the bullet to match your rifle and determine whether it likes the bullet touching the lands or whatever, and will feed through your magazine. You've done it now! You will never be the same!

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will do fine and before you know it you will be turning out some great ammo. I must tell you my best advice. When you get hold of the handle on your press do not force anything. When it takes two grow women to pull the handle...STOP...something is wrong. I hope you enjoy reloading. To me it is as very satisfying experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom