Justice John Paul Stevens Dead at 99.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes he flat out called for repealing the Second Amendment. He said that was the only way they could enact gun control.

to be fair, that would seem to recognize it as a right and would also seek to address the issue through the method prescribed by the founders. i disagree with his position, but respect that his approach was direct and correct and not a 'backdoor' method.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
2013%2F07%2F30%2Fb1%2Fbigbangtheo.d0266.gif%2Ffit-in__850x590.gif

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
to be fair, that would seem to recognize it as a right and would also seek to address the issue through the method prescribed by the founders. i disagree with his position, but respect that his approach was direct and correct and not a 'backdoor' method.
Personally I believe any repeal of any part of the Bill of Rights would nullify the Constitution, since it would never have been ratified without them.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I believe any repeal of any part of the Bill of Rights would nullify the Constitution, since it would never have been ratified without them.
The constitution stipulates that the document itself can be edited through amendment, and only through amendment.
This is what Stevens meant. If you want the laws changed regarding gun rights, you have to rescend the second amendment with another amendment. I doubt that he saw it happening, he was just stating the process that would be required. The process itself is way beyond politics, and should not be controversial.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The constitution stipulates that the document itself can be edited through amendment, and only through amendment.
This is what Stevens meant. If you want the laws changed regarding gun rights, you have to rescend the second amendment with another amendment. I doubt that he saw it happening, he was just stating the process that would be required. The process itself is way beyond politics, and should not be controversial.
I can stomach that. There is a difference between trying to do something and explaining how it would need done.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What he said was that, even though the 2A did not protect an individual right, we should repeal it just so the argument that gun-control was a violation of the 2A, could not be used to to stop what he viewed as perfectly constitutional laws.

His view was that even with the 2A in place, a total ban would be constitutional but repeal would take away the silly argument that it is not.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF? Who are you, and what have you done with Iggy?

Latest posts

Top Bottom