Kayak fisherman??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious who all on here kayak fish. I've fished all my life like most but have fished from a kayak for about 8 years. I mostly fish Oklahoma lakes and rivers but I also make several trips a year to Alabama & Florida to fish the bays and gulf.

Started out on a Pelican Castaway and am now on my third boat which is a Jackson Cuda HD. So who all out there enjoys this hobby as well? What do you use and what bodies of water do you fish?

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved up here from Galveston Bay and still have my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160. I don't use it here as much as I would like, primarily because up until lately it had to be registered with numbers on the hull (not necessary in TX). My primary use down south was bay and near shore. It is my favorite way to fish and I plan to get a little in here this spring, summer and fall.

Attachments

• 85EDD1DF-AB6D-415A-B455-FEB7468FFB50.jpeg
    85EDD1DF-AB6D-415A-B455-FEB7468FFB50.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 115
  • C4E955C2-B549-4A3F-B58D-A588B914062D_1_201_a.jpeg
    C4E955C2-B549-4A3F-B58D-A588B914062D_1_201_a.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 98

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they wear out

I had a Coleman canoe 17 foot (poly) and it was stored outside most of the time.. sometimes under a shade.
I got it when I was 14 It lasted it lasted me 27 years.
I did rub a hole in the keel and placed a steel pipe into the keel and siliconed it in.

The death of it was sun rot.. plastics and sun do not get along well and that was pretty good stuff on that Coleman.
Not a kayak I know.
But I could see one living a long life unless you wore a hole into it or the sun rotted it.
At 17 foot long it was fast in the water much quicker than a buddies 10 foot kayak.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 12’ Pelican fisherman, bought in late December.
So far I’ve only fished one of the local municipal lakes but come spring when the sand bass and stripers migrate up the Arkansas River to Kaw lake tail waters I want to launch there to fish the holes and eddys down to the Highway 60 bridge. It’s about a 7 mile float. Done it many times in the past in our 16’ Lowe canoe, but nobody wants to do that and one operator in a canoe doesn’t do well.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My canoe got a 4HP outboard clamped to the side of it..And I had a couple 4" wide 1x4's screwed to the side of the canoe to mount the engine on.
That made things much easier. I fished Webbers Falls below lock 16 down to Gore and from Gore down to the Illinois river.
I would hate to stroke against the current.

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a kayak once, fell out of it and damn near drown. Couldn't get out of it once it turned over. I'll stick with a good old flat bottom boat thank you..

Latest posts

Top Bottom