Keeping a pig too long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s why Kobe beef is a couple hundred $$ per pound.

(copied)
  • The first is that the cows are given beer to induce appetite.
  • The second is that they are massaged daily, sometimes with sake (Japanese rice wine), as a proxy for exercise in the tight living quarters and to further accentuate the marbling that Kobe beef is so well known for.
  • And the third is that classical music is played to them as a relaxation technique and at feeding time, so they associate the music with eating and hence the music improves their appetite

• I got stuck in Tokyo once to airline issues, given a voucher for a room at an upscale hotel and a meal voucher. For dinner Kobe steak was served. It was the most flavorful steak I’ve ever had, almost fork tender.
My Dad told me if you want tender beef, put a steer in a stall/pen where he has enough room to eat and lie down.

Exercise firms up (and toughens) the muscles, and burns fat that you want to marble the meat.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad told me if you want tender beef, put a steer in a stall/pen where he has enough room to eat and lie down.

Exercise firms up (and toughens) the muscles, and burns fat that you want to marble the meat.
:drunk2:
That’s how we raised our steers when a kid that were headed for the freezer.
My Uncle in law’s family were lifetime dairy farmers. They played music on an old Motorola radio in the milk barn to calm them down. They used to hand milk but moved to mechanical in the early 60’s
My first “big game” hunt when I was a preteen happened in that milk barn.
.22 bird shot in a bolt gun. Turn off the lights and the mice would start moving around the walls. Turn the lights on and start shooting!
Rinse and repeat. 😀

Latest posts

Top Bottom