Kel-Tec P32: Brief Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one when they first came out and I loved it. Then when the LCP came out I had to have one and it was an improvement slightly in power. Then I saw a Taurus TCP for 189 bucks and it was so cheap I bought it and I felt it was an improvement in feel and trigger over the LCP. I sold it for some reason then a neighbor was selling another TCP for a hundred bucks so I bought it. I later sold it and doubled my money and was really missing not having a small pocket gun so I recently bought a second generation Ruger LCP with the improved trigger and sights. It's the best of the bunch. All of those guns have been perfectly reliable but I must be really fortunate because most people don't seem to have as good of luck with the reliability of the mouse guns.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one when they first came out and I loved it. Then when the LCP came out I had to have one and it was an improvement slightly in power. Then I saw a Taurus TCP for 189 bucks and it was so cheap I bought it and I felt it was an improvement in feel and trigger over the LCP. I sold it for some reason then a neighbor was selling another TCP for a hundred bucks so I bought it. I later sold it and doubled my money and was really missing not having a small pocket gun so I recently bought a second generation Ruger LCP with the improved trigger and sights. It's the best of the bunch. All of those guns have been perfectly reliable but I must be really fortunate because most people don't seem to have as good of luck with the reliability of the mouse guns.

My main problem with the LCP, which of course, I too just had to have back when they first came out, was accuracy. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it, unless I was inside of it.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Plot Thickens: Testing Different Ammo

Thought I'd post an update, especially given the kind response to the original review.

I recently did a 150 round range session with the P32, which brings total round count to 350. This was a chance to broaden out past the Sellier & Bellot 73 gr FMJ and try some different .32 ACP ammo.

I started with PMC Bronze 71 gr FMJ. As most folks know PMC's a South Korean ammo maker with a large footprint in the US market. I have used a ton of their 9mm for practice/training and it's quite decent. I got this ammo to represent the energy levels of mainstream US .32 ammo, which can chronograph 100 fps or more less than the European FMJ loads such as S&B or Fiocchi.

Quite a difference! The soft-shooting PMC made me understand why many people praise the P32 for light recoil. It was very easy to shoot accurately. This target is 3 mags of PMC delivered at 7 yards at a brisk pace -- almost combat speed:

FullSizeRender1(10).jpg

However, ... the PMC ammo was not reliable. I had two failures to strip the next round during the 3 mags fired above. Then I shot some other stuff and came back to the PMC near the end of the session (the gun was now at the 300+ round mark without cleaning) and it was a bad scene. Multiple failures to eject, go into battery, really almost every round, especially when fired one-handed.

I also tried a box of Hornady Custom 60 gr XTPs from curiosity, though I'm not planning to carry hollowpoints. I was curious whether the notorious "rimlock" problem would appear with these shorter length rounds. (The XTP is also the one hollowpoint bullet that interests me for mouseguns, because it balances moderate expansion with more penetration.)

Same story here as the PMC ball. The Hornady XTPs were accurate and pleasant to shoot, but not 100% reliable. One failure to go into battery in two-handed shooting; one failure to strip the next round in one-handed shooting. (No rimlock.)

Admittedly, the gun was rather dirty at this point. But as soon I turned to a hot European ammo, this time the popular Fiocchi 73 gr FMJ, the reliability problems disappeared. Both the Fiocchi and S&B ball rounds fed, fired, and ejected perfectly throughout the session, including one-handed shooting. They are snappier and a bit more challenging to shoot tight groups with than the mainstream fodder, but the superior reliability makes the European rounds a no-brainer.

One quirk I notice with the S&B: every so often I get a bullethole with some keyholing at 7 yards, as though the heavy 73 grain bullet is starting to tumble. I didn't see any of that with the Fiocchi in 50 rounds. Will keep an eye on it. Frankly .32 FMJ in general has a propensity to tumble after impact -- this is part of its appeal as a self-defense round, the tumbling bullet gives some of the disruptive effect of an expanding hollowpoint -- so I'm not sure a mild keyholing of the S&B would be a bad thing.

When I got home I broke the P32 down for cleaning. Pull the pin and it's a simple, Glocklike field strip. Yep, there was a lot of schmutz in there after 350 rounds. Cleaned it, lightly lubricated with Break-Free CLP, and reassembled. Done in <10 minutes.

I've been experimenting with the DeSantis Superfly pocket holster, seen below. It has a detachable concealment flap that goes on the outside. This makes it more conspicuous in the pants pocket than the Nemesis, but the outline looks more like a wallet than a pistol. Right now I'm leaning toward the Nemesis.

FullSizeRender1(11).jpg

Conclusions:

1. The claims that the P32 is a recoil "pussycat" compared to a P3AT/LCP are actually true when you use mainstream US-market .32 ACP. Unfortunately, in my pistol, that type of ammo is clearly inferior in reliability to the snappier, hotter European FMJ ammo from Fiocchi and S&B, especially when the gun is dirty or is fired one-handed.

2. The Fiocchi and S&B ball loads are the way to go. Possibly the S&B is a bit prone to keyholing at 7 yards.

3. Every 200 rounds will be my maintenance interval for the P32.

Last edited:

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great writeup! A P32 with belt clip has been my around the house pistol for a while now, great while doing yard work etc. My go to ammo for it is Prvi Partizan. It's decently hot FMJ stuff and has been flawless. I will admit I have a possibly abnormal love for the little .32ACP. It is no .45ACP but hot FMJ does surprisingly well in gel tests and the light recoil means I can put a bunch of them on target very fast from a very comfy to carry pistol. Certainly performs above is perceived caliber so to speak.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The P32's at 500 rounds now. I painted the front sight red; definitely more visible. I think this is worth doing.

Trigger has improved with use. It's fairly smooth now although it's still a long DAO. I prefer the shorter pull on the current gen Ruger LCP.

Ammo: Sellier & Bellot ball remains flawless for reliability in the last 200+ rounds. :cool: It's the carry load. Fiocchi ball had a couple of failures to return fully to battery; I had to tap the back of the slide home to keep shooting. Sadly, this moves Fiocchi off the preferred list for this P32.

I had mostly good luck with Aguila 71 gr FMJ. The very first round from the box failed to go off. I tap-racked it away so can't tell you if it was a light strike (gun) or a bad primer (ammo). The other 49 rounds functioned 100%. The Aguila ball is accurate and a bit softer shooting than the S&B, so I am going to test it more. Here's a standing 7 yd group:

FullSizeRender1-2.jpg

The P32 remains a dream to pocket carry.

Last edited:

flash2710

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm happy with my P-32. It's marginally smaller than my LCP but occupies a small niche (pun intended) in my collection. I've have good reliability from the S&B, Fiocchi, Lehigh and Buffalo bore. The buffalo bore puts out a big puff of smoke, but works ok.

Latest posts

Top Bottom