Kel Tec RDB - any concerns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got around to buying an RDB and figured I’d see what folks thought of it. Lots of mixed reviews online about it. Some early builds had issues with a pin walking out of the firing pin breaking. Otherwise there doesn’t seem to be a lot of aftermarket support for them. I picked up a Vortex Crossfire red dot for it as well. Rifle should be in next week but the red dot might take awhile (Palmetto State buy).

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one I bought from someone on this board. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it's been flawless. The mods are a Lucky Irishman handguard, Vortex UH-1 holographic site and a Gunnar blast shield over an A2 flash hider.
The recoil impulse is really spread out and the empty cartridges drop at your feet (assuming you're standing). I think I could place a bucket down here and they'd all drop inside.
I need to get some twenty round mags, the thirties are too long for shooting prone.
I've never tried for small groups - but it's certainly good enough for center of mass as far as I can see without magnification.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one I bought from someone on this board. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it's been flawless. The mods are a Lucky Irishman handguard, Vortex UH-1 holographic site and a Gunnar blast shield over an A2 flash hider.
The recoil impulse is really spread out and the empty cartridges drop at your feet (assuming you're standing). I think I could place a bucket down here and they'd all drop inside.
I need to get some twenty round mags, the thirties are too long for shooting prone.
I've never tried for small groups - but it's certainly good enough for center of mass as far as I can see without magnification.
Any issues with magazines aside from the length? I read PMags are best but some others don’t work right without modification. I hadn’t heard of a blast shield before but I’ll look into it. I debated between the 20 inch or the 17.3 inch barrels but couldn’t justify the price difference for the 20, especially when I had to buy an optic.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had one for a while and it's been perfectly reliable. The bolt release over the mag area is stiff, but I can use the charging handle easier. The only issue I have is I have a tendency to hit the mag release with my thumb while firing, but that's me, not the rifle.

Like Dave said, recoil is non existent and it shoots straight. I use a Sig Romeo 5 red dot and actually shoot it pretty well. That's harder these days with my tired old, never were that good eyes.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I got the rifle yesterday and got to know it a little bit. Disassembly is easy and the trigger is pretty good. I had some feeding issues just cycling through a magazine of 5.56 but that was likely me riding the bolt too much and not letting it cycle properly. I did have an issue with the new PMag that came with it not seating when the hammer wasn’t cocked. My old ones fit fine and it turns out one of the hammer bars would catch the over insertion block on the new mag.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had one for a couple of years and fired maybe 1500 or so rounds thru it. Never had a stoppage. In mine, I find GI aluminum mags are easier to insert and drop free than do the PMags. PMags work fine but they're slightly tighter in the mag well. Some drop free, others don't. Not sure why. Doesn't matter if they're loaded, partially loaded or empty.

I've never fired it for best accuracy and have only fired run of the mill shooting ammo. American Eagle is probably the best ammo I've put thru it. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 scope on it and I can easily keep it at minute of torso with some fairly rapid fire at 100 yds. Good enough for what I'll ever want, or need, to do.

I think I actually like it a little more than an AR, especially from an overall length aspect. I'm just not nearly as familiar with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom