Keltec RDB (talk me out of it)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting a short handy 5.56 for a while now. I refuse to pay the .gov for the opportunity to request permission buy or build an SBR. I had a great little Zastava M85NP with a Sig brace a year or two ago, but the ATF letter about shouldering prompted me to sell it. Now there's a new letter but there could be another one next week. With some of the options now available I'm thinking bullpup.

MDR -- too expensive/vaporware at this point
AUG -- just doesn't float my boat
Tavor X95 -- very interesting, but potential accuracy issues
Tavor SAR -- again, very interesting...but general consensus is that the trigger ain't much to brag about

Now on to the RDB. If Ruger built this rifle, I wouldn't be writing this post...I'd be out shooting my Ruger RDB. That being said, the RDB checks all the right boxes for me. It's about an AR-15 cheaper than the Tavor. It's built in the USA. Great trigger. Simple design. Good accuracy reports.

As with most interesting Keltec weapons, availability is iffy, but they can be found. I've had good luck with their guns in the past, but there are plenty of folks who claim the RDB is an unreliable POS.

Are there any RDB owners out there who can give me some advice? Are there any other good options I've overlooked?

Any opinion is welcome, but informed is preferred. Rather not have this turn into a Keltec bitchfest.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RDB seems to be available. The few reviews I have looked at have been pretty positive. Since they released some green ones I hear one of them calling to me.
I like unusual firearms - I've also been thinking about a K&M M17S

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Feed the bear man. I cannot talk a gun guy out of a gun, it goes against the laws of nature. With the scarceness of the weapon, resale is almost guaranteed. If I had the cash right now, I would order one just to shoot the snot out of and if displeased, find the highest bidder. Not informational I know, but honest.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been considering the same rifle. There's a video out there that compares them to most other newer similar rifles and it doesn't portray it in a good light. They do seem to have issues with some of the earlier ones, but maybe Kel-Tec has worked those out now. I haven't had a chance to handle the .556 version, but did the .308 and man it was HEAVY. A lot heavier than I thought it would be, but that could just be because of the caliber.
Kel-tec seems to be hit or miss (Like PMR and KSG). They have a nasty track record of not producing many for the mass market or having a limited supply of parts available. Like I said though, I do still plan on picking an RDB up if I get a chance...just to give it a shot.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done a lot of looking into Keltec. I have quite a few of their models, done a lot of research and we were both born in the same year and city (Seriously). I also got a tour of the factory they make them in! I'll put a list of the ones I have at the bottom of this. Keltec usually gets a really bad rap from some places of the world, and it's largely undeserved. If they would start producing more, methinks that reputation will disappear over time. Their low prices makes people wary, but I carry a P3AT half the time I go out.

My own experience with them says the first generation is typically prone to some form of issues but the second and so on are pretty rock solid. My sub2k, KSG, and my non-22 mag handguns have never given me a glitch. The PMR/CMR with the 22 magnums however can be rather picky until you break them in and find the right food to feed them. I have mild experience with the RFB and it is pretty legit, especially if you're a lefty. My own RFB is currently on layaway as those suckers are not cheap...

I have heard a lot of good about the RDB, and there is a keltec owner forum that I will find the link and get you if you'd like. One of the cool things is that it uses AR mags, so if you have one, you already have a mag supply! (Keltec likes doing this with a lot of their stuff)

Owned:
KSG
PF9
P3AT
CMR30
PMR30
Sub2k Gen 2 9mm
RFB (pending)

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the prices for both new and used Tavor SARs are coming down here lately. Of the two, I think I'd prefer the SAR over the X95. If I can get the SAR for just a few hundred bucks more than the RDB, that makes the decision a lot tougher. Decisions, decisions...

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally dont think Bullpups are as accurate as standard configured rifles. Just going off my own experience but I have only used either a red dot or Eotech so its not like I was worried about shooting tight groups. I have seen the new Keltec and it looks badass. For the price seems like a good deal.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still looking for a deal on an RDB, but I'm starting to lean towards the Tavor. It may come down to which one I run across first at a great price. After reading up on most of the RDB QC complaints, I'm pretty sure I could resolve any issues myself; but of course that would void the lifetime warranty. Maybe I'll vacillate long enough that the MDR will be released.

Latest posts

Top Bottom