Ketland Musket Value Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy and Merry Christmas all. Recently I've been clearing out a bunch of inherited stuff, and need help on one because honestly I don't know where to list it, or what to list it for.

As best I can tell, it's a Revolutionary War era musket, in original condition, but missing some pieces. It's lock (and maybe the whole thing?) is made by Ketland and Co suggesting that it is one of the rifles that the English started to copy and sell back to us, but my history is fuzzy. It's got an octagonal barrel with "London" marked on it to further that theory.

While it's really cool, and it'd be fun to hang onto it, I'm already keeping several things that are going to get me in trouble (so don't tell that part to my wife HA). So it means I'm in need of how to figure out what it's actually worth and the best place to sell it because I don't like being that person that lists obnoxiously high, nor do I want to get railroaded.

And also, I don't know if someone could maybe answer a question where I'm not a legal scholar --- this is obviously much much more than the 50 years for C&R, so does that mean I could feasibly ship it out of state? I don't know much practical "how C&R works" information. And if I had to list on an auction site or something, I suppose I'd need to know that or how I would handle shipping to an FFL.

Cheers!
20181108_223310.jpg 20181108_223433.jpg 20181108_223458.jpgIMG_20181205_211835.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not an expert either but I believe this is considered antique and the c&r laws don’t cover it. I think you can ship at will.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to post this over on British Militaria Forum in the Percussion and Flintlock forum. The fellows there are collectors of this sort of stuff and they can best tell you what you have and help you come up with a value. They can also recommend a best market. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/british-flint-and-percussion-arms-f4/

The gun is an antique and not subject transfer via FFL. You can ship direct in the US. It is up to the buyer to be assured they are complying with their local and state laws.

From what very little I know about these guns, it appears the forestock has been cut down. It appears to be civilian gun and not a military gun. The marking suggest to me it precedes the revolutionary war time period. The fellows on British Militaria Forum can accurately tell you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom