Kidde Carbon Monoxide detector acting weird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, about 6 years ago I had my A coil and heater/blower replaced. When they did that they were required to either install or make sure a carbon monoxide detector was present and functional. I didn't have one so they installed a cheap Kidde unit. Flash forward to tonight when it started to go off but in a weird way. It would give 4 beeps, pause, 4 more beeps followed by 2 more beeps. It did this once then went about 4 minutes and did it again. I replaced the batteries and it stayed silent for about 2 hours then did it again. After that I decided to replace it as it was showing the signs of having the test button pressed but with two more beeps at the end. The one I replaced it with is same brand but it has a digital display with a highest reading memory. So far it has not gone off.

Anyone have any experience with these things doing this? My wife, cat and myself are not showing any symptoms of CO poisoning. No headaches, nausea, etc. I am pretty sure the detector was just going bad. Thoughts?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have a built in "fail mode" at around 5 years, because the CO detector element deteriorates over time. It's in the manual.

I've had two go bonkers, and I'm not sure either one lasted the specified time. But I can't guarantee my memory is all that accurate either. :/

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have a built in "fail mode" at around 5 years, because the CO detector element deteriorates over time. It's in the manual.

I've had two go bonkers, and I'm not sure either one lasted the specified time. But I can't guarantee my memory is all that accurate either. :/

The manual says 10 years, but this is a cheap unit so I guess mileage could vary.

According to Kidde's Web site (https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/e...rbon_monoxide_alarm_beeping_or_chirping_.aspx), it could be a "nuisance alarm," and they have a reset procedure to deal with it.

I looked at that, but it seems that was for their smoke detectors.

So far the new one has not gone off and hitting the max level button shows no CO detected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom