Kids hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took my boy out, we had a great time, froze our butts off, got some clean shots, had weapon malfunction, but overall it was a great experience and one neither of us will ever forget - his first deer hunting trip.

He got 4 clean shots that went *click* on a nice looking little 4-pointer. Pretty young, but oh well - it wasn't his day to die, apparently. ;)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey TRDoc, I hope it wasn't one of your AR builds. :D

It sure was. I build my own guns to shoot them. Why?

Looks to me from tearing it down and inspecting it had a tiny piece of metal left over from machining in the firing pin hole in the bolt. This was causing the firing pin to be inconsistent. Would you attribute this as my fault for building my own rifle? lol. Probably you would, as would some others who don't think I should be building my own rifles... like I care. lol

So anyways, looks like we probably got the problem figured out. But either way, we learned a lesson - even if the adults have no intention of hunting, bringing a backup weapon is always a good idea.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to completely dissassemble and inspect any newly acquired firearm. I've found machine cuttings in the firing pin tunnel of both a brand new SCCY and a used (pawn shop) Kel-Tec.

I'm just glad it wasn't a self-defense situation. :)

This was not visually evident. I personally inspected this part both before and after, then cleaned it myself, then my buddy who tore it down with me tonight is the one who managed to find the shaving and pull it out. It was very small, and again, you could NOT see it with the naked eye when I inspected it by looking down the bore onto a white background. It wasn't until he took a Q-tip, pulled it out to make a kind of "wick" and then spiraled it into the firing pin bore that it actually "caught" this piece of metal. I guess it kind of rolled around in there and sometimes was flat against the wall of the channel, sometimes wasn't, therefore caused the intermittent firing issue. Again, this is our guess, as it seems a plausible explanation. Won't know for sure until I can get to the range to shoot some more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom