Kids hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll try... hopefully I'll get better. After spending that time out in the yuck, now I'm sick. Hopefully I can get over it and take him out next weekend.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5326.JPG

Great idea for a post topic! Congrats to all the kids getting a deer, it's great! I took my 9 year old last Sunday and he killed his first deer ever, a doe at about 10 yards...he was excited and so was I!

He wanted to go again so I took himTuesday morning and he killed his first buck with a 105 yard shot with his CVA youth .243, made a perfect shot! Deer piled up 80 yards away out of sight so we had a good blood trailing session as well!

The best kind of days, makes my whole season. He also took a minute by himself with his first buck to give thanks for the animal. I couldn't be any prouder of this boy.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It sure was. I build my own guns to shoot them. Why?

Looks to me from tearing it down and inspecting it had a tiny piece of metal left over from machining in the firing pin hole in the bolt. This was causing the firing pin to be inconsistent. Would you attribute this as my fault for building my own rifle? lol. Probably you would, as would some others who don't think I should be building my own rifles... like I care. lol

So anyways, looks like we probably got the problem figured out. But either way, we learned a lesson - even if the adults have no intention of hunting, bringing a backup weapon is always a good idea.
Didn't mean to set you off. Just saying I hope it wasn't something that was assembled incorrectly.

I'll try to refrain from commenting on your future posts.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 62773 View attachment 62774 View attachment 62775

Great idea for a post topic! Congrats to all the kids getting a deer, it's great! I took my 9 year old last Sunday and he killed his first deer ever, a doe at about 10 yards...he was excited and so was I!

He wanted to go again so I took himTuesday morning and he killed his first buck with a 105 yard shot with his CVA youth .243, made a perfect shot! Deer piled up 80 yards away out of sight so we had a good blood trailing session as well!

The best kind of days, makes my whole season. He also took a minute by himself with his first buck to give thanks for the animal. I couldn't be any prouder of this boy.
Great pics and congrats to the hunter and the dad for getting him in the woods and off the video games.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't mean to set you off. Just saying I hope it wasn't something that was assembled incorrectly.

I'll try to refrain from commenting on your future posts.

I thought we'd been through that before. And you'd already said the same thing. You're free to do whatever you like... but no, it wasn't something I'd assembled incorrectly. lol

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought we'd been through that before. And you'd already said the same thing. You're free to do whatever you like... but no, it wasn't something I'd assembled incorrectly. lol
Sometimes I have to make the same mistake more than once before I learn not to do it again.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all good. I've made plenty of mistakes. I continue to make them, never claimed to be perfect or to know it all. Taking my son hunting like this was the first time I've ever really truly deer hunted. So it was a learning experience. Contrary to what some may believe, I think it was a good experience, in spite of the fact that we "missed" our deer.

We took great pains to explain to him the purpose of the whole thing. It's not about killing. It's about getting out in nature, about communion with creation, about conservation of wildlife in an appropriate manner, about enjoying an experience with friends and family. In that perspective, it was still an incredibly valuable and successful "hunt". We spent a number of hours out together, passing on knowledge and in fellowship together, watched the sun come up through the fog, watched a group of 5 or 6 bluejays fighting with a single cardinal over our deer corn, watched a number of deer in woods and saw how they behaved, learned techniques and essentially it was a great experience.

So we missed our buck. No biggie... I am sure we'll have many more chances both this year and in the years to come. But we'll forever have the story of the first hunt when we had 4, count 'em 4, clean misfired shots on that one buck! lol

I'm not the least bit disappointed. And neither is my son.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen a lot of deer this year, so I decided to break out the 22's and go squirrel hunting after getting out of the stand this morning.
Great way to work on basic rifle fundamentals, have a blast and make a tasty meal.
This was her 1st tree rat so we're gonna try to tan the hide.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161128_4d3f534bb4c2969ef26742a6d82a608b.jpg

Got 6 total, probably try again this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am proud to be apart of a group that cares enough to instill these beliefs in our children. We all enjoy teaching the youth how to hunt, both our own and other children who wouldn't have these opportunities. I have to take my hat off to each of you that give up your own hunting time to teach the next generation how to be responsible ethical hunters. Please, keep up the good work and T riot you are completely correct in your observations about hunting with your son. I am glad you got to share the experience with him, you will both enjoy sharing that story down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom