Kids Now A Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been working on finishing up some chain link fence repairs. Friday, I dug out, poured, and set a new corner post. I had the post perfectly plumb with two torpedo levels. Saturday morning, I went to see how much the cement had cured. I could see the post was off while walking up to it. It was out an inch and one half at the top. I was pissed. The only thing I thought could have moved it was being hit with a basketball from the kid next door. They play right next to where I was putting the post. So, I rigged up my receiver hitch hoist I made onto my truck and pulled the post out. The post pulled up right out of the cement. So, I busted out more of the cement and reset the post. Not knowing what knocked the post out of plumb, I install one of my cameras to keep tabs on it. I checked out the post this morning and it was still good. Tonight, a little after 7:00 I got and email alert on the camera being tripped. I checked out the footage to see the kid next door walk by my post to get his basketball. When he walked back by, he grabbed the post and shook it. I guess it didn't move enough for him, so he kicked it a few times. This pretty much cleared up how it got out of plumb the first time. Pissed off doesn't even describe how mad I was. I went over there, and the kid had gone inside, and nobody would answer the side door. So, I went around to the front door, and nobody would answer it either. By then the kid had come back out so, I asked him if his parents were home and he said no. This kid looks to be about 10 years old. I don't know the law on leaving a kid that young home alone. I had been back home about 15 minutes and the mother drove up. She met me at the fence, and we had a little talk about junior. If it happens again, I guess I'll have to get the law involved.

That sux, but, what, exactly, pray tell, are you going to say to the law when they finally get there? Their kid kicked my fence post?

Neighbors suk. Some neighbors suk a bunch. I doubt the law will even show up. Better addressed with the parents. If the kid continues to tear stuff up and it turns malicious, you can prolly get him for vandalism, and make them pay you a little money, but that’s all that will come of it. After all that, you’ll have next door neighbors you don’t speak to. Been there done that. You still lose.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t give up, there are stories of youth, single and groups, almost daily, doing great things. There always have been, and always will be kids and parents that believe they have the right to do whatever they want. On the other hand, there are those who have been thought to do what is the right thing to do.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part is the parents fault and some of it falls on the .gov trying to tell parents how to raise their kids. I know im having hell with a foster kid right now and they tie your hands to a point you cant do anything and they dont care as long as the kid is out of their hair and they dont have to deal with it and to make matters worse it has been 6 months with no assistance like they promised except medical bills on the child. I didnt take the kid in for the payments but when they make promises they need to stick to it and do it promptly since they made us jump thru hoops to get the house ready for the child and only had a week to do it. And we wasnt even signed up to be foster parents them came begging us to take the kid cause they had no place to put her.

We got the same run around with multiple foster children we had in our homes.
No financial help for any of them for just about the first 6 months.
And they do not make up the back either just know that ..it's not about the money.
But when they say you will get some you kind of think it should happen.

We were emergency therapeutic foster parents for kids that were so messed up that they could not go into regular foster care.

I feel sorry for them.
But I keep them busy also with yard tasks like moving rocks in the yard or digging holes or pulling weeds raking leaves.

They would always get high praise for any tasks they did hugs and high 5's and the girls would get to paint their nails or I would paint them
then clear coat them make it look like a deep paint job.

We no longer do that as the kids were driving my wife insane.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids did some stupid crap last year and got dragged through the mud for it. Somehow they decided that in the course of walking the dog they should check folks mailboxes. Proceeded to take a package containing some new glasses and promptly discarded it. I met with the recipient, kids present, and discussed the issue. Made the kids walk the neighborhood (with me) until we found the glasses and returned them. Offered them up for any housework or lawn care but the gentlemen was more forgiving than I was. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea. They don’t want for anything and certainly don’t get their punishments withheld. I guess spur of the moment stupidity hits kids more than adults. Hopefully the kid kicking your fence post learns a lesson about construction and remembers it in the future.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All kids are deficient in the long term decision making process (impulsive) to some degree or another. I was a typical country kid growing up and got into mischief but the line was at damaging someone else's property. If it got damaged, I was to repair it better than it was before I tore it up as my next highest priority. I also started coming home alone at around the age of 6 or 7. We had calves behind the house and two Rottweilers that wouldnt even let my parents spank me outside. I always had a dry erase board covered in my tasks for the afternoon that would be inspected when Mom got home from work. Everything not done correctly was added onto the next day's list along with everything that was already planned for that day. That damned dry erase board was my baby sitter for the few hours until Mom or Dad got home. My Dad was at the fire station 2 miles away in case anything came up and I had a .410 pump shotgun in the well house with a phone so if anything was off I could lock myself in there with the shotgun and phone until Dad got there.

Kids make mistakes, parents devise consequences to ensure they learn from them. Eventually when they get around 28-30 years old they start slowly developing the ability to make decisions based on benefits down the road versus now.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been working on finishing up some chain link fence repairs. Friday, I dug out, poured, and set a new corner post. I had the post perfectly plumb with two torpedo levels. Saturday morning, I went to see how much the cement had cured. I could see the post was off while walking up to it. It was out an inch and one half at the top. I was pissed. The only thing I thought could have moved it was being hit with a basketball from the kid next door. They play right next to where I was putting the post. So, I rigged up my receiver hitch hoist I made onto my truck and pulled the post out. The post pulled up right out of the cement. So, I busted out more of the cement and reset the post. Not knowing what knocked the post out of plumb, I install one of my cameras to keep tabs on it. I checked out the post this morning and it was still good. Tonight, a little after 7:00 I got and email alert on the camera being tripped. I checked out the footage to see the kid next door walk by my post to get his basketball. When he walked back by, he grabbed the post and shook it. I guess it didn't move enough for him, so he kicked it a few times. This pretty much cleared up how it got out of plumb the first time. Pissed off doesn't even describe how mad I was. I went over there, and the kid had gone inside, and nobody would answer the side door. So, I went around to the front door, and nobody would answer it either. By then the kid had come back out so, I asked him if his parents were home and he said no. This kid looks to be about 10 years old. I don't know the law on leaving a kid that young home alone. I had been back home about 15 minutes and the mother drove up. She met me at the fence, and we had a little talk about junior. If it happens again, I guess I'll have to get the law involved.I'll bet the mother defended her BRAT?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids did some stupid crap last year and got dragged through the mud for it. Somehow they decided that in the course of walking the dog they should check folks mailboxes. Proceeded to take a package containing some new glasses and promptly discarded it. I met with the recipient, kids present, and discussed the issue. Made the kids walk the neighborhood (with me) until we found the glasses and returned them. Offered them up for any housework or lawn care but the gentlemen was more forgiving than I was. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea. They don’t want for anything and certainly don’t get their punishments withheld. I guess spur of the moment stupidity hits kids more than adults. Hopefully the kid kicking your fence post learns a lesson about construction and remembers it in the future.
SPOILING KIDS is without doubt the very worst type of child abuse! Spoiled brats are deprived of being allowed to grow up, of having SELF RESPECT, RESPECT FOR OTHERS, and any chance of having a normal, happy, productive life! WE a have all seen this over, and over, and it turns out the very same each time! RIGHT?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not the goody two shoes growing up. I tried to be. I tried to do good works but sometimes my dumbass overloaded my common sense.
I paid for those instances greatly by paddling, hard work, and/or financial restitution. Destruction of property was not in my bag of tricks. If I did anything like that, it was totally by accident but due again to my acute dumbassery. In the few instances I was involved in schoolyard fights, it was my alligator mouth severely overloading my bluebird ass which usually got kicked.

I paddled my kids when they really screwed up and they are not into drugs, booze, or have been in close contact with the criminal legal system. In comparing our kids to my wife's sister's kids every day I am alive we thank the Lord that they are not and have turned out the way they did.

Watching and listening to the people called during the jury duty voir dire, I was truly dismayed as to the number of people there that had either been arrested or associated with close family that were felons, drug abusers, etc. I would say out of 75 people in the room there were about 55 questioned. Out of those 55, about 40 of these talked about it like it was just a natural part of their life and their neighborhood.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
All kids are deficient in the long term decision making process (impulsive) to some degree or another. I was a typical country kid growing up and got into mischief but the line was at damaging someone else's property. If it got damaged, I was to repair it better than it was before I tore it up as my next highest priority. I also started coming home alone at around the age of 6 or 7. We had calves behind the house and two Rottweilers that wouldnt even let my parents spank me outside. I always had a dry erase board covered in my tasks for the afternoon that would be inspected when Mom got home from work. Everything not done correctly was added onto the next day's list along with everything that was already planned for that day. That damned dry erase board was my baby sitter for the few hours until Mom or Dad got home. My Dad was at the fire station 2 miles away in case anything came up and I had a .410 pump shotgun in the well house with a phone so if anything was off I could lock myself in there with the shotgun and phone until Dad got there.

Kids make mistakes, parents devise consequences to ensure they learn from them. Eventually when they get around 28-30 years old they start slowly developing the ability to make decisions based on benefits down the road versus now.
Precisely. The wife and I called it the "Age of Awareness". That can be early in life before age 10 or even well into their 40's when the light bulb lights in their head. Sometimes it never happens and those are called defendants.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made some "errors' as a teenager myself due to no parental guidance but I won't blame it necessarily on that, I was stoopid and mischievous and grew out of it quickly within a few years. But the kids nowadays have no concept or qualms about doing harm top someone or being destructive and they stand face to face with an adult and insult them. Yes, the government should have remained out of child-rearing because they make the worst parents!

Latest posts

Top Bottom