Kifaru new duplex frame and timberline two review.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got back from a backcountry elk hunting trip in the mountains of colorado.
I train all year for this trip and test various gear before and during the trip.
The group of guys I go with annually are just as hardcore as I am and ounces matter in our overall pack weight. Only three of us went this year (normally four go) we all enjoy backpacking in steep and deep far from roads and normally other hunters.

I'm a self diagnosed gear whore and try to buy the best gear I can afford. I prefer a composite external frame over internal framed or external aluminum hard frames. The primary reason for this is comfort. I recently upgraded to a kifaru ultralight duplex frame and a duplex timberline 2 (dt2) bag. It's only 5200 ci but with the addition of a couple of belt pouches the guide lid and two long pockets I wound up with just under 8000 cu in of space. I had plenty of space for a weeks worth of gear and food plus sleep system. Would have been able to carry out half an elk with camp easily. More on the various pockets later.

Kifaru is well known for making quality durable packs and other gear for backcountry enthusiasts and military applications. Integrated molle or pals webbing are standard on most packs and pockets. I was running a Kuiu icon 7200 and felt at times it was too big. The biggest reason I upgraded to a kifaru though is the Kuiu didn't fit quite right under heavy (75lbs plus) and try as I might I couldn't get it to adjust any longer in torso length. Also the load lifter straps would slip also under heavy loads. I bit the bullet and ordered the kifaru in early august (4-6 week lead time) and after paying impatiently waited. It finally arrived and my initial thoughts where they hit a home run with this system. The frame is stout robust and highly comfortable. It's fully user adjustable to fit varying body types as well. For reference I'm 6'1" tall and 195-200 lbs depending on the week. But I have a freakishly long torso 25 ish inches to be exact. The frames come adjusted to your measurements and mine was close out of the box a few minor adjustments and wow I was blown away at how well it rode. I went with the ultralight version of the new frame and instead of composite or aluminum stays it simply has two carbon arrows to aide in rigidity and strength.

After much thought and debate I finally settled on the dt2 bag over the dt1 or amr bags to compliment my frame. Very simple design with few frills but flat works and carries lots of gear really well. I like the sleeping bag compartment and bottom zipper that allows access (liner can be rolled and velcroed out of the way if you wish) it has two pockets on the front and a cord lock system along the front as well. Two side pockets that allowed for spotting scope and tripod to ride in one side and part of the shelter and my shooting sticks in the other. I used the available pals webbing to attach a long pocket to one side for the hike to base camp as well. I put a weeks worth of food in it (these quick disconnect ) and made putting and keeping food organized and placing in bear bags a very simple task. I also added a guide lid for more storage on top and the internal sleeve in the bag held a three liter hydration bladder well. I also added two small pockets to the hip belt (perfect for Aqua Mira drops. Map compass and other small items) I also added a gun bearer to the right side as well as a grab-it to the bottom (helps carry misc. items throughout the week camp water bag when dropping to get water of my coat on the hike to glass every morning. The gun bearer carried my rifle securely and still allowed quick access while climbing.

My pack on the three mile hike in counting rifle was 51lbs I took a heavier rifle by a couple of pounds than normal. After a week of hunting in steep big country the only way I'd be any happier with my new pack system is if I'd have gotten blood on it. Super comfortable and rode well. Took a couple of cliff dives when I got in some bad situations. Nothing broke or wore in any way. We camped at 10286 ft and hunted to 12k and this year I finally have my total system dialed there's only three things I'm going to upgrade to for next year and they aren't any part of my pack system.

These systems aren't cheap I bought the guide lid used and still have shy of 800 invested in my new pack. But I'm fairly sure I finally bought the last pack I'll ever need.

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/storefront.aspx here's a link to the company. Check them out

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446236850.347608.jpg

That's me in the middle. The guy on the left had a sitka pack and on the right a Kuiu icon.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom