''Killers of the Flower Moon''

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(...the Osage murders and the birth of the FBI " by David Grann.
turn in your guns.png

A very notable read, right off the current best seller lists.

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were the members of the Osage Nation, who after many forced moves, ended up being planted by an all-seeing and all-knowing US Government on some rocky land in what is now Osage County, and soon found themselves sitting on a huge oil field. They became instant multi-millionaires almost overnight. At that time, 1 in 11 adult Americans owned a car; and the average Osage adult owned 11 cars, complete with chauffeurs! They built lavish homes, had servants, (some of whom were whites), travelled extensively to places like London and Paris.

They were horribly exploited and slaughtered for their money. The levels of corruption, the depth of the cover-up are hard to accept. At this time, a young FBI and its brash young eccentric leader, J. Edgar Hoover was in its infancy. This turns out to be its biggest case of the times, yet most, if not many Americans and few Oklahomans are really aware of the events. How did this happen? Were things in this country really so bad then; were politicians and law makers really this corrupt? Haven’t we learned anything from things like this?

Did you know about this in our history before? It’s rarely taught, as it’s not a pretty picture of the good ‘ol USA. And after all, History is written by the winner. (ask the Aztecs, if you doubt that to be true)

It’s a damn good read. It’s true, and much of the material is straight out of old FBI Files, real historical newspaper articles, letters, prison interviews, testimony, and a heck of a lot of deep, well-thought out and organized research. It will chill you to the bone to see how our nation, our law men, how some of our grandfathers even, acted here in Oklahoma back then. It was a little less than 100 years ago...not that far back, in the big picture. And it happened right here, right damn here in Oklahoma I tell you! Why, some of you may even live in Osage County, sitting right now on top of countless trusting, innocent, yet murdered Osage Indians’ forgotten graves.

This makes any modern black-face matter dug up in some politicians old yearbook pale in comparison. This even outdoes Fallin's daughter backing her trailer-park rig up to plug into the State Capitol's electricity.

(***Edited: I'm not going to go into any more details, as I don't want to spoil the book or the story should you choose to read it. This should be a must-read for every U.S. American High School Student, at the very least, IMO. One usually can't improve without acknowledging one's mistakes, and endlessly repeating the same old action over and over while hoping for a different result usually doesn't work out to well either).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 131989

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were the members of the Osage Nation, who after many forced moves, ended up being planted by an all-seeing and all-knowing US Government on some rocky land in what is now Osage County, and soon found themselves sitting on a huge oil field. They became instant multi-millionaires almost overnight. At that time, 1 in 11 adult Americans owned a car; and the average Osage adult owned 11 cars, complete with chauffeurs! They built lavish homes, had servants, (some of whom were whites), travelled extensively to places like London and Paris.

They were horribly exploited and slaughtered for their money. The levels of corruption, the depth of the cover-up are hard to accept. At this time, a young FBI and its brash young eccentric leader, J. Edgar Hoover was in its infancy. This turns out to be its biggest case of the times, yet most, if not many Americans and few Oklahomans are really aware of the events. How did this happen? Were things in this country really so bad then; were politicians and law makers really this corrupt? Haven’t we learned anything from things like this?

Did you know about this in our history before? It’s rarely taught, as it’s not a pretty picture of the good ‘ol USA. And after all, History is written by the winner. (ask the Aztecs, if you doubt that to be true)

It’s a damn good read. It’s true, and much of the material is straight out of old FBI Files, real historical newspaper articles, letters, prison interviews, testimony, and a heck of a lot of deep, well-thought out and organized research. It will chill you to the bone to see how our nation, our law men, how some of our grandfathers even, acted here in Oklahoma back then. It was a little less than 100 years ago...not that far back, in the big picture. And it happened right here, right damn here in Oklahoma I tell you! Why, some of you may even live in Osage County, sitting right now on top of countless trusting, innocent, yet murdered Osage Indians’ forgotten graves.

This makes any modern black-face matter dug up in some politicians old yearbook pale in comparison. This even outdoes Fallin's daughter backing her trailer-park rig up to plug into the State Capitol's electricity.

(***Edited: I'm not going to go into any more details, as I don't want to spoil the book or the story should you choose to read it. This should be a must-read for every U.S. American High School Student, at the very least, IMO. One usually can't improve without acknowledging one's mistakes, and endlessly repeating the same old action over and over while hoping for a different result usually doesn't work out to well either).

I read this book cover to cover in less than a week it was an awesome book!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
View attachment 131989

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's an excellent read and compelling story. Actually, these killings were the birth of the FBI. It's hard to believe that man could do this to his fellow man, regardless of race, creed, color, heritage, etc. The wife and I both read it, and went in search of (and found) one of the cemeteries mentioned prominently in the book. The author has been back to Oklahoma more than once within the last year. The wife was at one of his presentations and met some of the descendants of those mentioned in the book. Highly recommended. This rates right up there with the Tulsa race riots, IMHO. They never covered any of this stuff when I was in school, and "Oklahoma History" was a required subject!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want to know about our state's questionable history, look up Angie Debo's books, particularly And Still the Waters Run. The story of that book's publication is a pretty good story by itself.

If you want more Injun history, check out Empire Of the Summer Moon (about the Comanches) and The Heart Of Everything That Is, about Red Cloud, who led the Sioux in the first war the US ever lost (Red Cloud's War).

Latest posts

Top Bottom