''Killers of the Flower Moon''

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
EXCELLENT BOOK! I read it in two days. If you like Oklahoma History and true crime, this book is the best of both worlds. My Grandfather worked for the refinery in Barnsdall (Bigheart) and my father lived in the refinery housing as a child in the early '30's during the time the book depicts. I took my mother on a road trip up there a year ago just to visit his childhood home. All that is left of the refinery housing are small remnants of the foundations at the top of the hill above the refinery. Barnsdall holds a place in history as the only town with a producing oil well in the middle of Main Street. If you go there, be sure and eat in the burger joint that was an old gas station. No need for directions, you can't miss it.

And don't forget to visit Whizbang if you can find it.

I've eaten a couple burgers there, good food. Friend of my dad's owned the lumber yard there, and had a couple of high school friends who's family owned land near Wynona and Nelogany. That was back when gas was cheap and life was slower it seemed lol. Spend a whole 30 seconds in Whizbang a more one occasion :)

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to know about our state's questionable history, look up Angie Debo's books, particularly And Still the Waters Run. The story of that book's publication is a pretty good story by itself.

If you want more Injun history, check out Empire Of the Summer Moon (about the Comanches) and The Heart Of Everything That Is, about Red Cloud, who led the Sioux in the first war the US ever lost (Red Cloud's War).
Killer is an outstanding read. Last year the sophomore English class as well as the voluntary book club at my high school read it, then took a field trip to the key historical sites.
I really liked Empire of the Summer Moon also. Especially the connection to the Texas Rangers and saving Colt firearms. Guess I'll have to read The Heart of Everything too.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always said the centennial slogan should have been “100 years of Indians and Outlaws, some things never change”.

I was reading years ago that the oldest human remains in North America known as the Kennewick Man was identified as a Caucasian. He had a Clovis spear point buried in his pelvis. Several other pre “first people” remains have been found including a settlement in Florida that had the oldest woven textiles. All the bodies found were interred in the same way over a span of time indicating a high order culture. Truth gets buried faster than a hot cat turd by the BIA and Dept of the Interior.

Basically history is the story told by the meanest dog in any given fight. Ain’t an inch of dry ground anywhere that wasn’t stolen fair and square by somebody from someone else at one point or another. At least you used ta could bash each other with sticks and rocks for title. Now days they do it with weasel words and hired thugs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always said the centennial slogan should have been “100 years of Indians and Outlaws, some things never change”.

I was reading years ago that the oldest human remains in North America known as the Kennewick Man was identified as a Caucasian. He had a Clovis spear point buried in his pelvis. Several other pre “first people” remains have been found including a settlement in Florida that had the oldest woven textiles. All the bodies found were interred in the same way over a span of time indicating a high order culture. Truth gets buried faster than a hot cat turd by the BIA and Dept of the Interior.

Basically history is the story told by the meanest dog in any given fight. Ain’t an inch of dry ground anywhere that wasn’t stolen fair and square by somebody from someone else at one point or another. At least you used ta could bash each other with sticks and rocks for title. Now days they do it with weasel words and hired thugs.

Interesting perspective, and I agree with most of it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading years ago that the oldest human remains in North America known as the Kennewick Man was identified as a Caucasian.
I heard a theory put forth recently that the western tribes were descended from people who came across the land bridge from Asia during the ice age, but the eastern tribes were descended from people who came across from Europe. Dunno if there’s any validity to it or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom