Kimber 45, CZ P07 and Sig P365

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Kimber made some fine 1911's when they first got into the business of building them. Mine is from their earlier inventory. I've heard since they went into mass production, their QC has gone downhill some, but that's indicative of the gun market in general.
It seems the days of gun manufacturers taking a design to the field and busting 10,000 caps to prove its reliability is over and done with.
Cad Cam designs prove in the minds of engineers that the design will work and it's sent out to the public for beta testing resulting in Gen 1, Gen II, Gen III, ad nauseum.
I don't understand how in today's market where guns have a very low profit margin, they can rush a design to market and expect the public to back them when you have to make constant returns to the factory.
It doesn't fit a successful business model.

My Kimber was a pre-series2 gun. It was pretty nice, but the wrong set of specs for me. My understanding is that there was a period where they struggled, but I haven't heard much bad press recently.

My experience is it isn't the engineers that don't want to test, it's the bean counters. I've been in R&D, and been the designer. I've always wanted to verify my design is going to work!

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! I think almost all 5” Kimber’s are good to go, most 4” Kimber’s are somewhat/mostly reliable and I think they really struggle (as do most) on the 3” Ultra models.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! I think almost all 5” Kimber’s are good to go, most 4” Kimber’s are somewhat/mostly reliable and I think they really struggle (as do most) on the 3” Ultra models.
The Kimbers I've been around (not shot all of them) just look cool. A bit too much bling on some, but they just look great. You may have a point about the smaller versions. I don't have much experience with the subcompacts and that was with the Raptor. It shot good but not much can be know with only a few mags. Sharp looking gun though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I think you may posted a pic of yours, but if you get a chance, I'd dig seeing a shot of it.

It is in .45 ACP, with some trigger work, laser engraved cocobolo grips, flared magwell, and sporting a Tripp Cobra 10 round extended mag with one in the chamber for 11 rounds of .45 goodness.

568942254061fc6ff6c2029dc22164d1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom