Kimber Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20% more ammo capacity is noteworthy, if it's anywhere close to j-frame in size.

If you are referring to my post there is no way to get 8 .38 caliber rounds into anything even remotely close to a J frame sized cylinder. That's why all of S&W's are N frames. I want an 8 shot revo for USPSA and there are only 3 viable options. A 929 or 2 different 627's and that's it. Ruger could do it, but won't. S&W has the competition market fully monopolized and that pisses me off.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are referring to my post there is no way to get 8 .38 caliber rounds into anything even remotely close to a J frame sized cylinder. That's why all of S&W's are N frames. I want an 8 shot revo for USPSA and there are only 3 viable options. A 929 or 2 different 627's and that's it. Ruger could do it, but won't. S&W has the competition market fully monopolized and that pisses me off.

No, I'm referring to the Kimber in comparison to a j-frame. The Kimber has 20% more ammo.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W 640 is 23 oz.
Ruger SP101 is 25 oz.
S&W Model 19 (2.5") is 30 oz.

I think the Kimber will be a good competitor, assuming it's a good revolver, to these and similar revolvers.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
YG, I compared to the pocket wheelies for this reason:

IMO, a wheelgun's primary tactical advantage, is not having a slide. Which basically is because it can fire from inside a jacket pocket if necessary, or other awkward positions. If that is the case, then I want the lightest gun possible. So if I'm carrying a revolver "socially" I want the lightest possible.

And when you mentioned "20% more ammo" I thought 5 shot revolvers and forgot about the 60/640 and SP101.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's being compared to the ultra-light models. It obviously wasn't designed for that purpose.

that purely due to Kimber's claim to be world's lightest production .357 magnum 6 shot revolver .. never mind that there are no light production .357 magnum 6 shot revolvers out there. at least none that I'm aware of ...

http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6-stainless

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that purely due to Kimber's claim to be world's lightest production .357 magnum 6 shot revolver .. never mind that there are no light production .357 magnum 6 shot revolvers out there. at least none that I'm aware of ...

http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6-stainless
I agree, and I think this may be the feature that helps the gun sell...again, assuming it's a reliable one.

@Nikat, I think the weight/capacity tradeoff is worth it, and totally manageable in a jacket pocket; but it'll be a bit much for pants pocket.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, and I think this may be the feature that helps the gun sell...again, assuming it's a reliable one.

@Nikat, I think the weight/capacity tradeoff is worth it, and totally manageable in a jacket pocket; but it'll be a bit much for pants pocket.

And it could be. That's why I threw the data out there.

Personally, I can't pocket carry. My phone prints bad enough. So if I'm carrying on my belt, I'm looking for thin (excludes wheelguns), or reliable capacity (excludes wheelguns).

I would be much more interested if they had done a post style grip like the Ruger design. That made shooting my SP101 much more bearable than any other small .357 I've ever shot.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot so much .38+p and .357Mag through Airweights that any steel framed revolver is a pleasure now...but it took a long time to get there. I'm guessing .357Mag in this Kimber will still be stout for those not used to it, but .38 target loads will be quite fun for nearly anyone. For people that prefer a revolver for any given purpose, this Kimber adds a nice option that we didn't quite have before. Jeez...I sound like I'm trying to sell them...they have an uphill battle to prove reliability and, in particular, that it's worth the price. This piece is fecking expensive.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am impressed with everything I have read about it, and have plans to order a couple for the store after the weather lets up on the East coast, so that there are people in to order from.

They have six shots like the Colts did when they made small revolvers.
Stainless steel so there will not be a rust issue
Yes they are costly, but which Kimber is not?

I think they will be a winner for revolver people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom