Kinda disappointed with the Osprey and other silencer jibber jabber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got to take the Omega 36M out today...and that kinda ruined the Osprey for me. I've shot the Osprey off of my P226 with subsonic 9mm and was initially kinda disappointed in the sound suppression it offers...but I had nothing else to base it off of or compare it to so I wasnt really sure if it was how they all are or not. Well today I did a side by side of the two....Osprey vs Omega 36M..both same ammo (147gr Speer Lawman) out of semi auto pistols with essentially the same barrel lengths and there is a significant difference between the two. I know the 36M is the newest Silencerco offering while the Osprey is far from it, but I still think the Osprey should be quieter.

I took a few cans/guns to a buddies property who is retired Navy but not really a "gun guy"...he has some but isnt INTO it. Anyways, one of his was a Mini 30 in 7.62x39...so that was fun showing him a 300 blackout bolt action with the 36M on it compared to his Mini 30. Very similar cartridges, totally different ballgame. He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

The P320 is a brand new "build" with mixed parts I wanted and unfortunately it wont cycle with the can on. It may need break in, it may need a different spring...I'm not sure but that was fairly disappointing. I set it aside for another range day to try normal ammo without a can on it to start figuring out the issue but at this point as a suppressor host its not there yet. Its a Sig FCU, Wilson Combat grip module, Sig recoil spring/guide rod, GGP barrel, Sig Pro Cut Slide.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got to take the Omega 36M out today...and that kinda ruined the Osprey for me. I've shot the Osprey off of my P226 with subsonic 9mm and was initially kinda disappointed in the sound suppression it offers...but I had nothing else to base it off of or compare it to so I wasnt really sure if it was how they all are or not. Well today I did a side by side of the two....Osprey vs Omega 36M..both same ammo (147gr Speer Lawman) out of semi auto pistols with essentially the same barrel lengths and there is a significant difference between the two. I know the 36M is the newest Silencerco offering while the Osprey is far from it, but I still think the Osprey should be quieter.

I took a few cans/guns to a buddies property who is retired Navy but not really a "gun guy"...he has some but isnt INTO it. Anyways, one of his was a Mini 30 in 7.62x39...so that was fun showing him a 300 blackout bolt action with the 36M on it compared to his Mini 30. Very similar cartridges, totally different ballgame. He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

The P320 is a brand new "build" with mixed parts I wanted and unfortunately it wont cycle with the can on. It may need break in, it may need a different spring...I'm not sure but that was fairly disappointing. I set it aside for another range day to try normal ammo without a can on it to start figuring out the issue but at this point as a suppressor host its not there yet. Its a Sig FCU, Wilson Combat grip module, Sig recoil spring/guide rod, GGP barrel, Sig Pro Cut Slide.
Especially for 9mm these new cans are really advanced technology-wise. Noise and flash reduction are getting better all the time. I wish that Silencerco would update the guts of the Ospreys because they have such a neat aesthetic and not needing to buy another set of sights/red dot to aim with your can on is a huge plus. All my cans are still in jail (fingers crossed I get them around Thanksgiving). I bought an Osprey 45 because I have just always liked how they look. I got a Rugged 9 for my 9mm can, I hope it is pretty quiet and I heard good stuff about it.

jollyrancher

Marksman
Reaction score

It's your slide. Sig got carried away with removing steel in my opinion. The slide runs way fast suppressed. I was in the same boat you're in. Picked up a 320 axg pro the other day. Put on a romeo 1 pro and switched the barrel over to a Sig threaded one. Jam after jam. My ammo is a 124 berry's handload that is subsonic, so needless to say it's pretty anemic. Tried three different pistol cans, two 9's and a 45. No luck, but the octane 45 had a 50 percent failure rate. The octane 9 and yhm r9 were close to 100 percent failures. So I figured out the 9 suppressors were running the slide too fast. Happened to have a basic 320 full size in 40, so I robbed the recoil spring assembly. Problem solved. I tested unsuppressed and everything was good also. Slide locked last shot everytime.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Semi-update....

Ran the P320 with no can and it runs fine. So gun isnt specifically the issue.

Put the 36M (long configuration) on and shot 115gr ball through it and it was about 50%. It would short stroke and not go back into battery.
Took the booster off and the piston was dry, which I had greased before, so I regreased it (I am using TW25B which is rated to 450F) and switched to the short configuration with 115gr and it ran quite a bit better. I tried 147 through that same setup and back to short stroking.

So, as of now, 115gr with the short configuration with a really well greased piston is giving the best results with the 36m. I guess this can may just be too heavy for a Browning action pistol....or the P320 just isnt a great suppressor host.

I need to do the same tests using the 36M on the P226, and the Osprey on the P320 as the P226 ran perfect with the Osprey.

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running a 36 M on a Ruger PC9. 115's are loud, but my 150 coated subs make it sound like a pellet gun. I'm have the same result on a G17 and G19. They have been 100% reliable too. The Ruger RAR bolt action in 556 and 350 are sweet. Still need to tune my AR15. It's reliable but over gassed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom