Kindness ..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I arrived at the shop to find a dude passed out in his truck, right in front of the door. It was an inconvenience that I didn't want, and irritated me quite a bit. Hoping that he would wake and leave on his own, I puttered around for 20 minutes prepping for the arrival of other employees. I was getting more and more frustrated as time went by, thinking about what kind of attitude I was likely to get when I chased this guy off. All I was concentrating on was why this loser was in a place he had no business being, and how I had all the rights in the world to confront him, or even to call the cops.

But then it occurred to me.....I had no idea what brought this guy to be in this situation. Maybe he had a fight with his old lady or something. Perhaps pulling over and getting some shut eye in a quiet and empty commercial parking lot was the safest and most responsible thing he could have done in that moment. Here I was judging him very poorly, simply because of an inconvenience.

Lately I've found myself becoming so very jaded about all the problems in our society and culture. The struggle of most of us conservatives as we watch American values being stripped away, leaves a quiet seething that I know is echoed by most of us here...

These thoughts lead me to a much better mind space, so instead of approaching the issue with abrasive aggression.......I brought the guy a cup of coffee, and some gentle words. His window was down, so I was able to wake him from a distance. His haunted expression, along with the handgun and half-empty bottle on the passenger seat, confirmed the kind of night he managed to survive. His immediate apologies, and appreciation for the kindness made the tiny effort on my part well worth it. I hope my empathy makes a small difference in his life. I know it made an enormous difference to MY day.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things like this make you rethink how you treat others. I had a watermelon on the conveyer belt that I was going to pay for in a store and there was a little old lady who was elderly asked me how much the watermelon cost. I told her and then she left and I went about my business. This was a few years ago and it has bothered me ever since. I used to be poor and now I am not exactly wealthy but I have enough money that if I paid for that watermelon and gave it to her it wouldn't have hurt me at all.
Ever since then if I can be kind to someone that is having a hard time I'll do it, I offered today to give a Black lady enough money to pay for her items and she declined. I'm not bragging because it would be wrong and any reward would be withheld in my opinion. I'm just saying no matter who it is, kindness doesn't cost anything and if a little money helps someone and doesn't hurt the giver I'd give.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
King David in proverbs 16::32 gave his people great advice. He said that whoever is slow to anger conquers his soul or spirit, and is mightier than who captures a city.
Thank you all above in your responses, demonstrating your wisdom . We all need the encouragement of these kind of reminders, have a great day!

Latest posts

Top Bottom