Kit Building ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad and I are probably going to be building PSA AR-15 kits as a father son project and I had some questions. Are there any special tools needed the way PSA sells the kits, with the uppers pretty much done? Any blocks or punches that the lowers need that might not exist in a regular tool kit? Here is an example of the kind of kit I'm talking about, comes with everything but a lower. Lastly is there a resource you would recommend for how to build the thing? Neither my father or I have ever built an AR before. I think there is a little bit of stuff on youtube, but they are death on actually teaching how to build. Maybe another video platform?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are going to have fun. It’s really simple and enjoyable to build something like an AR then go shoot it. You’ll need a lower vice block, armorers wrench and a roll pin starter set to make the job easier.
That being said, I built my first one on the kitchen table with no special tools. I tidied it up later though. I wrapped a piece of railroad track that I use as an anvil in an old towel. I needed something to put the lower against to start the roll pins. It worked and wasn’t all that difficult but it is much easier with the above mentioned helpers for sure.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are going to have fun. It’s really simple and enjoyable to build something like an AR then go shoot it. You’ll need a lower vice block, armorers wrench and a roll pin starter set to make the job easier.
That being said, I built my first one on the kitchen table with no special tools. I tidied it up later though. I wrapped a piece of railroad track that I use as an anvil in an old towel. I needed something to put the lower against to start the roll pins. It worked and wasn’t all that difficult but it is much easier with the above mentioned helpers for sure.
Got the armorers wrench already, but didn't think I would need it the way they have the upper already done?

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad and I are probably going to be building PSA AR-15 kits as a father son project and I had some questions. Are there any special tools needed the way PSA sells the kits, with the uppers pretty much done? Any blocks or punches that the lowers need that might not exist in a regular tool kit? Here is an example of the kind of kit I'm talking about, comes with everything but a lower. Lastly is there a resource you would recommend for how to build the thing? Neither my father or I have ever built an AR before. I think there is a little bit of stuff on youtube, but they are death on actually teaching how to build. Maybe another video platform?
This is how the addiction starts! 😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom