Kit Building ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we both went ahead and ordered our kits and I ordered what tools I didn't have that @dlbleak mentioned. Anything else anyone recommends? I've heard that putting in the lower springs while it's inside a ziplock bag will help with ones that don't want to behave.

Splurge and make sure you get the two gallon ones. Don’t ask how I know…

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, some 3M blue painters tape can be helpful as well to tape off areas where the brass tap hammer may strike the lower when installing the bolt catch, etc.
And make sure the grip screw is hex or Torx and NOT slotted. And that you have long enough tools to access.
Again, Wheeler makes some great guns tools as well Real Avid.

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, why not, I’ll keep contributing. Make sure to have some threadlocker on hand. I like the medium strength for things like optics that may get removed at some point and high heat for things like the gas block.
And a spring punch too for items like the gas key and castle nut on the buffer.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the tools (aside from punches and the wrench) really aren't necessary but they sure make things easier. Then, once you're ready to put together your second, third, fourth, fifth, etc...gun, you'll have the right tools.

Aside from tools, I'd order some extra detents and springs and a few spare parts kits. I have about $73,519 worth of springs and detents laying in hidden areas of various shops in Colorado, Idaho and Oklahoma that have managed to escape from me.

And, many of the springs are air-soluble, too. They'll dissolve before they even hit the ground sometimes.

HoJoe1977

Marksman
Reaction score
My advise, get a JP trigger spring kit or a drop in trigger. It’s fun putting them together but it sucks replacing springs to get a better trigger after the fact.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom