Kitty litter for casting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried fluxing with wax and tried mixing my lead with a sappy pine stick.
And tried mixing my lead with a stainless spoon.
Guess what it all came out the same.

Range scrap and tire weights and dirty lead gets melted outside in a stainless pot.
I scoop off the crud on the top be it steel or dirt or zinc weights.
It scoops off fine and I have a magnet for big jobs of steel removal.

The molten lead gets poured into muffin tins.
Then when I need lead those muffins go into my Lee pot.
I stir it with a spoon and as it is melting crud will be on the top possibly from long storage times.

I spoon the crud off that does not mix into the lead with the spoon.
My bullets turn out fine and dandy.
Keep it simple.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of some using kitty litter on top of a casting pot , to keep the heat in and slow oxidation of the lead. I've never heard it as a fluxing agent.

From the description, the wax he put in the pot was actually doing the cleaning. The litter was just a carrying agent.

I use oiled sawdust in the rendering pot, followed by wax. In the casting pot I use wax only.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many things you can flux with, to me the important part to get a good fill of the mold is to get the lead to the right temp and then get your mold to a good temp, if the mold is to cool then you will not get a good fill of the bullet cavity. And i have melted several jacketed bullets from mining the backstop and have never had a single jacket end you in a ingot they have always floated to the surface to be skimmed off.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard of using kitty litter as an 'insulating agent' to hold in heat, but never as flux. I use paraffin or beeswax, but have never been fully satisfied, thinking there must be something better. I know there are commercial fluxes out there, but never tried them. I'm actually wondering if my old Lee Production Pot heating element might be getting weak. I've been having trouble with my molds filling out recently. I don't have a thermometer to check actual temperature.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried it for a top layer to prevent oxidizing. Huge pain adding sprues and bullet rejects. It seemed to find it's way to the spout eventually. The remainder made excellent oil sweep for garage floor. If I thought I needed a barrier I would probably try a tin can lid or something like that. I just quit worrying about it and things seem well enough.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom