Knife finished, a 9.5 hunter in camo g-10, 1095 with gut hook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally do not like gut hooks, I think, for what it is worth, I have said that a few times, however this knife is not for me and this guy does like gut hooks. I know because I tried to talk him out of it several times...lol.

9.5" over all length
4.5" blade
handle is 5", and made from camo g-10, 416 stainless bolster, lanyard tube, and 9 1/16" pins and one 1/4" nickel silver and brass Mosaic pin.

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1455.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1452.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1453.jpg

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good!

Do you use a platen to flat grind?

Looking at the photos it's difficult to tell as I can't see a difinitive grind line at the top of the primary bevel.

Looks like a real work horse.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good!

Do you use a platen to flat grind?

Looking at the photos it's difficult to tell as I can't see a difinitive grind line at the top of the primary bevel.

Looks like a real work horse.[/QUOTE

Yes I have a Kalamazoo, which I modified a little with a more distinct flat platen with very sharp edges, so I can get the plung cuts I desire, I grind all blades by hand, not that that matters to me, so each blade will have the grind line in a little different place, this one is nearly a full flat grind I left just a little at the top.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I really like this one if I do say so myself......OK I didn't think I was going to get this one finished tonight but I just couldn't put it down. I like this one... but I'm not going to keep it for myself this time. Same pattern as last one but with several re-designs. I changed the spacer to go from top to bottom on the butt of the knife, I counter bored the holes in the bolster .60" deep just a .02 deeper than screw head. I put some file work in locking bar. I cut the back of the locking bar and the back of the locking pocket in the blade at 8 degrees so the lock wedges into pocket for a awesome lock up, this thing doesn't move. I added a little mosaic pin action for the fun of it. The blade tension if fully adjustable I also added a thumb stud to blade, what do you guys think?

7 3/8 total length
blade is 3" long and made from 1/8" 0-1 tool steel
handle is 4 3/8" long, hunter orange g-10 scales, bolster, liners, and all pins are stainless steel except the Mosaic its Nickel silver and brass.

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1456.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1457.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1459.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1461.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1462.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1463.jpg

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Randall your attention to detail is amazing!!! I would be proud to own any of the ones you have shown us pictures of. On the gut hook, I grew up using one, so I kinda like them. I like how big you made that one.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have a Kalamazoo, which I modified a little with a more distinct flat platen with very sharp edges, so I can get the plung cuts I desire, I grind all blades by hand, not that that matters to me, so each blade will have the grind line in a little different place, this one is nearly a full flat grind I left just a little at the top.

You do great work!

Latest posts

Top Bottom