Knife making

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayd_1

Marksman
Reaction score
I've made several knives over the years including fixed blade, folders and automatics. Unfortunately I have not forged any blades from scratch, all my blades are stock removal, there's no safe place for me to set up a forge at my home.

pearl.jpg

aluminum.jpg
italian.jpg
dagger.jpg

jayd_1

Marksman
Reaction score
Years ago my first setup for heat treating was a charcoal chimney starter and a leaf blower, it worked well but one of my blades was ruined in an instant. While heating the blade it was just about ready to be quenched when the blade partially melted, the leaf blower moved a little raising the heat very quickly and instantly toasted the blade.
The blade was from this knife.

blade.jpg
aluminum.jpg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! Nice craftsmanship. It’s good to see somebody posting in the knife section. I don’t have experience making knives, but I collect them and love to sharpen on whetstones.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love all the knife projects but does anybody build a big one? I'm looking for a knife I can use to split wood like my Esee. I want a hardy knife that the maker will guarantee that if I break it they'll fix it or build a new one. I don't care if it weighs 4 pounds, I want to be able to use it. I've got most of the stuff to build my own forge. Heck I could build a sword with what I've got here other than the propane fittings. If anyone needs a 100 pound propane tank to build a long forge, let me know. I've got three extra here and can get more.
The forge I built about two years ago is 2' long with an open back and a swing door in the front.
It doesn't get as hot as some I"ve seen even though I have a 30 lb regulator for some serious pressure.
My steel gets red hot, not white hot as I've seen on TV.
Think I might need some rock wool and a coating for the firebrick internally to retain some heat.?

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See "Walter Sorrels" on youtube. Dude is an amazing knife maker, from nothing to finished product.

And, BTW one of the best, if not the best, places to get knife making supplies is right down the road in Davis Oklahoma. Jantz Supply LINK knife making dot com Been around a looong time, deal with them in confidence. I was buying from them back in the early 1980's.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The forge I built about two years ago is 2' long with an open back and a swing door in the front.
It doesn't get as hot as some I"ve seen even though I have a 30 lb regulator for some serious pressure.
My steel gets red hot, not white hot as I've seen on TV.
Think I might need some rock wool and a coating for the firebrick internally to retain some heat.?
Find a 60# regulator, and build a Mikey burner or two. Gotta move enough gas and mix it with enough air to get stuff really hot.

Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom