knife question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GMThunder said:
Michael,

Well..... I picked up the KBAR TDI today at the gun show but I now have a more interesting problem. To make a long story short I'm bartending in slacks and a tie. IS there anything that will conceal tucked in?

Both Shawn Dodson at www.shawnstactical.com and Fist Holsters make IWB versions for the TDI.

The Fist website doesn't list the TDI sheath but if you call they will make you just about anything.

The ones I have from Shawn Dodson are absolutely outstanding and allow for a locked-wrist draw with no shouder articulation. They are worlds better than the standard sheath. Unfortunately mine are OWB otherwise you'd be welcome to try one out.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sk1911 said:
Soooo...I carry a crappy little Gerber folder, but I sure got my eye on this sucker!

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

Guro Carl Atienza (who teaches one of the most comprehensive dedicated blade systems out there) has a good take on this.

He states that he never carries anything over $100. He believes you develop undue concern for a weapon like this and don't use or carry it in the way it is designed. The Atienza and Sayoc systems of Kali are also big on using knives as projectiles, particularly in mass attacks so they seem to be against throwing an expensive custom knife.

It is a position I am in complete agreement with. I have two carry knives worth over $100 but I carry them the way they are intended and if I lose them, I probably won't replace them with another like it.

So a crappy little Gerber folder may be just fine.

The Atienzas did a boar cutting demostration in Florida a while back and used knives they bought at Wal-mart that day to demonstrate that you don't need a super custom battle blade to be effective.

In fact I think there's a lot ot be said for minimizing the cost of your equipment and spending your free time training.

Michael Brown

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please note that I asked MB to comment on a subject pertaining to law enforcement. For that, I thank Mr. Brown for his response to what is unfounded speculation at this point. Thank you.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hank -
- You are coming off very snotty, rude, and very hostile (hopefully you don't mean it to sound that way). Michael has done nothing wrong on this post and has provided some help and answers for people asking questions. He offers opinions and specifically states that those are HIS opinions and he is not an attorney. If you want confrontation and hostility please go elsewhere BUT if you want good talk feedback with people of a similiar interest (guns) than have fun and stay here. Sorry to butt in - just had to say something

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, until I broke the belt clip off I was carrying an Al Mar Eagle ultralight. 4" folder with spear point. The micarta handle is very slim, and you'll almost forget it's there. Wicked sharp AUS-8 Japanese manufactured blade, too. I think they go for around $120 now, but when I got mine it was $80.

I picked it based on the "Kali" factor as it seemed to fit perfectly into the FMA style short defensive blade for pass-and-return type movements. It's *not* for opening mail, let's just put it that way.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked up all of the knives suggested in this link and none of them are just right for me. Can any of you suggest any other fixed blade knives made to be carried horizontally on the belt? It needs to be less than 7" overall.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend the CRKT Ryan Plan B or a Ka-Bar TDI in a OWB Kydex sheath. I took Mike Brown's CQT class...you can find out for yourself how difficult it is to draw a pocket folder when you are in a fight.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The following are some production blades that conceal well and fulfill the defensive knife mission. This is by no means a comprehensive list but simply the ones I've seen that I like.

CRKT Ryan Plan B
CRKT Polkowski Kasper Companion
Ka-Bar TDI (any version)
Cold Steel Braveheart
Benchmade Nimravus Cub
Benchmade Snody Resistor

There are plenty of others but most people shoul be able to find a good choice from this list.

Find a blade you like and get a trainer and a good accessible sheath for it. Fortunately there is a quality sheath maker in town so you don't have to live with a poorly designed sheath that comes with the blade.

Michael Brown

7point82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom