Knife Sharpener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A knife builder on OSA, Dave McKrosky uses the paper wheels with rouge. I've never experienced a sharper blade than he can produce and he says it could be sharper but refrains from going that far.
With paper wheels there is no distinct bevel like with other sharpening systems. It's a smooth blend into the edge so one has to make a personal decision about what method they want to use.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A knife builder on OSA, Dave McKrosky uses the paper wheels with rouge. I've never experienced a sharper blade than he can produce and he says it could be sharper but refrains from going that far.
With paper wheels there is no distinct bevel like with other sharpening systems. It's a smooth blend into the edge so one has to make a personal decision about what method they want to use.
You can get a regular bevel with the wheels with no blending. You just have to be very accurate each pass and also be able to match the existing edge angle or lower.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell how/what you made it out of, and where’d you get the green grit/dressing.

Looks pretty neat.

I cut the circle with my bandsaw, drilled a hole in the center and shaped and smoothed the wheel the with a wood lathe chisel while it was on the grinder.

3/4" mdf. This stuff is crazy expensive now. I think the sheet I bought a while back was $12.

1650543673393.png

I've only used the green and it is fairly aggressive rouge. Doesn't take long on the wheel to clean up the edge of the blade.

1650543746275.png

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just becareful, had to get tendons on right thumb reattached after the wheel caught the edge of the blade and threw it through my hand at high velocity

I was headed out the door to work one morning and I remembered that the wife was going to trim and put some deer meat in the dehydrator for jerky and figured that I'd give her knives a quick touch-up on the paper wheels mounted on my grinder.

Was in a hurry and apparently wasn't paying attention for a split second and I angled the edge into the oncoming buffing wheel and it grabbed and stuck the knife into my belly just to the right of my naval going through my t-shirt and work shirt.

All I could see was the handle sticking out of my shirt and the ring of blood getting bigger on my shirt.......I wasn't in much pain and thought it might be best to leave it in because I thought it might start bleeding bad if I pulled it out.

Figuring it wouldn't hurt to have someone go to the hospital with me I went back in the house and woke the wife and she screamed and about had a fit when she saw the knife handle sticking out of my shirt and the all the blood.......while she was getting dressed I poured her a mug of coffee and we headed to the car.

She wanted to drive but I told her that I could but when I was about to scrunch down and slide into the Olds it dawned on me that the knife was pretty sharp and that it may slide around in me while I was trying to get in the car so I went ahead and pulled it out and gave it to her thinking that the ER people might want to see how much of the blade had actually gone into me.

We walked into the ER with me keeping pressure on the wound under my shirt and her holding a bloody knife and they hustled us back to one of the curtained cubicles and called for the doc and called the cops also because of it being a knife wound.......they wanted to see if I had done any damage to internal organs so they wheeled me back to have a CT or MRI done (can't recall which) and luckily found from the results that I hadn't.

What saved me from organ damage was that the knife blade was thin almost like a filet knife and when the wheel caught it it bent it upwards slightly and it went in at a angle and traveled in me more horizontally than straight in......the doc cleaned and sewed me up, the cops did their report, I called work and told them that I'd be off a day or two and headed back home.

I told the wife to get the knife when we left and not to wipe it off.......it's been hanging on a nail above the workbench for several years and you can still plainly see the line on the blade of how far it went in which was 3 1/4".

I still use the paper wheels on a grinder but needless to say I take my time pay very close attention to what I'm doing.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you guys are using the paper wheels on a buffer motor with the wheels turning towards you? Sounds like a death wish. Way too dangerous. I wouldn’t use them if I had to do that.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was headed out the door to work one morning and I remembered that the wife was going to trim and put some deer meat in the dehydrator for jerky and figured that I'd give her knives a quick touch-up on the paper wheels mounted on my grinder.

Was in a hurry and apparently wasn't paying attention for a split second and I angled the edge up into the oncoming buffing wheel and it grabbed and stuck the knife into my belly just to the right of my naval going through my t-shirt and work shirt.

All I could see was the handle sticking out of my shirt and the ring of blood getting bigger on my shirt.......I wasn't in much pain and thought it might be best to leave it in because I thought it might start bleeding bad if I pulled it out.

Figuring it wouldn't hurt to have someone go to the hospital with me I went back in the house and woke the wife and she screamed and about had a fit when she saw the knife handle sticking out of my shirt and the all the blood.......while she was getting dressed I poured her a mug of coffee and we headed to the car.

She wanted to drive but I told her that I could but when I was about to scrunch down and slide into the Olds it dawned on me that the knife was pretty sharp and that it may slide around in me while I was trying to get in the car so I went ahead and pulled it out and gave it to her thinking that the ER people might want to see how much of the blade had actually gone into me.

We walked into the ER with me keeping pressure on the wound under my shirt and her holding a bloody knife and they hustled us back to one of the curtained cubicles and called for the doc and called the cops also because of it being a knife wound.......they wanted to see if I had done any damage to internal organs so they wheeled me back to have a CT or MRI done (can't recall which) and luckily found from the results that I hadn't.

What saved me from organ damage was that the knife blade was thin almost like a filet knife and when the wheel caught it it bent it upwards slightly so it went in at a angle.......the doc cleaned and sewed me up, the cops did their report, I called work and told them that I'd be off a day or two and headed back home.

I told the wife to get the knife when we left and not to wipe it off.......it's been hanging on a nail above the workbench for several years and you can still plainly see the line on the blade of how far it went in which was 3 1/4".

I still use the paper wheels on a grinder but needless to say I take my time pay very close attention to what I'm doing.
I think I will stick to my Lansky, K.I.S.S .

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Was in a hurry and apparently wasn't paying attention for a split second and I angled the edge up into the oncoming buffing wheel and it grabbed and stuck the knife into my belly just to the right of my naval going through my t-shirt and work shirt.

What saved me from organ damage was that the knife blade was thin almost like a filet knife and when the wheel caught it it bent it upwards slightly so it went in at a angle.......the doc cleaned and sewed me up, the cops did their report, I called work and told them that I'd be off a day or two and headed back home.

That is crazy but it just takes a split second! One question though, how big is your belly? lol

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you guys are using the paper wheels on a buffer motor with the wheels turning towards you? Sounds like a death wish. Way too dangerous. I wouldn’t use them if I had to do that.
I have the blade facing down and towards the floor, with the rotation of the wheel. Not sure what others are doing.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that for me. I sharpen on the top of the wheel with the rotation away. I think that’s too dangerous what you’re doing.
So you sharpen from the back side of the grinder? That makes sense.

I don’t think sharpening using the normal rotation in the location of the rest is any different than using a grinder for anything else. If the knife comes loose or the wheel comes apart, the knife will drive down towards the floor. I actually grind below the center point of the wheel so I can see the angle of the blade. At that point the wheel is moving away from me but not to the extent of how you are sharpening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom