knives you want but don't need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I was being a bit sarcastic with that. Ha!

I went back and looked. I only have 2 of the ESEE 4's, but I have a 6 and an Izula too though.

I just picked an ESEE Izula 2 in OD green. While it's an awesome little blade, it's just a little too small for what I had planned. :grumble:

Look for it in the want ads real soon! :thumb:

So I have a RAT 3 on order right now.

I really couldn't see any big difference in the RAT and the ESEE 3 other than the price.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and need to spend the extra 30 bucks for the ESEE 3. :ugh2:

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked an ESEE Izula 2 in OD green. While it's an awesome little blade, it's just a little too small for what I had planned. :grumble:

I really couldn't see any big difference in the RAT and the ESEE 3 other than the price.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and need to spend the extra 30 bucks for the ESEE 3. :ugh2:

IIRC, they're both 1095 steel? Back when I compared them it came down to ergonomics. I looked at the finishing touches and it looked like the RAT had a few places that could cause hot spots under heavy or sustained use, that the ESSE didn't. If your intended use isn't heavy or sustained, the RAT would probably be fine.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really want to pick up a knife from Matt Bailey in san mai... Or a Bruce Bump custom (not likely!)...

I have a few RATs as well as ESEEs, both are good but I despise powder coat or paint on a knife (cerakote & durakote are fine) so all get the same treatment - etch in acid, strip paint, force patina. Same thing on any Beckers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone watched the show "the wheel?" These people are supposed to survive on in isolation with a small pack for 60 days. They drop them in 6 different environments and eco zones and rotate them to a different zone periodically. After 30 days, only 2 of the original 6 are left. Anyway they have some sort of Kukri knife that is awesome. They abuse the heck out of the thing and it shows no signs of wear. I wish I knew who makes it.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

the okc rat has a slightly shorter handle, and the heat treat isn't as good as rowen's. the esee has the better warrantee, as well. better resale value...

there's a pretty big aftermarket for sheath and handle scales for the esee, too.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could try some Mora knives and tramontina machetes. The 12" machete is really handy for camping chores. Cutting bait, clearing grass, small vegetation etc. A mora companion with a stropped mircobevel cuts really well and is super lightweight. You could get both for under 30 dollars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom